Should I purchase this Leopard gecko?

Coraalll

Hi, I want to buy my first leopard gecko but I’m not sure how he’s going to behave since at the store I want to purchase him from all the adult males are in small reptile totes. He is absolutely beautiful and I’m really set on buying him but I don’t know if he’s not being treated decently. 74984

indyana

Reptile bark isn't the first choice for leopard geckos, but from what I can see of him, he looks a good weight and healthy. I would ask if you can handle him and check him out for any physical issues before buying, of course, but if you like him, I say go for it.

Here's a good article with pictures about diseases in geckos that you might find useful when examining him:

And this is my fav setup and care sheet. Note that substrate like paper towels is recommended, especially if this is your first. Saves you worrying about them accidentally swallowing a piece!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The gecko looks to be in very good shape, and I agree with Rachel's recommendations above. Note that there is a chance that the gecko has ingested some of that bark. I once cared for someone's geckos for a month (she was going out of town and the geckos needed medication) where one of them had dropped her tail right before I got her for no known reason. A few days after I got them, one of them pooped out some bark. I think that the gecko dropped her tail from the pain of the bark passing through her system.

Aliza

Coraalll

Reptile bark isn't the first choice for leopard geckos, but from what I can see of him, he looks a good weight and healthy. I would ask if you can handle him and check him out for any physical issues before buying, of course, but if you like him, I say go for it.

Here's a good article with pictures about diseases in geckos that you might find useful when examining him:

And this is my fav setup and care sheet. Note that substrate like paper towels is recommended, especially if this is your first. Saves you worrying about them accidentally swallowing a piece!

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I ended up buying him and so far he seems happy. I bought him some hideaways, fed him super worms, and he loves his heading pad. At the moment he’s getting used to my touch but he just pooped now and everything seemed fine with him so I think we did good with this one :)

Attachments

• 9488882F-FD5A-40AE-A754-75E613C5A047.jpeg
    9488882F-FD5A-40AE-A754-75E613C5A047.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 355D3000-D219-4685-9643-572ED0C04D5F.jpeg
    355D3000-D219-4685-9643-572ED0C04D5F.jpeg
    865.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DBC412FD-A8E9-4868-AD74-0F1238A5A079.jpeg
    DBC412FD-A8E9-4868-AD74-0F1238A5A079.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Visit our friends