Sick Leopard Gecko PLEASE HELP

thebrickburger

Hello everyone,

I'm posting this because my Leopard Gecko seems to have gotten ill.
He's been in the same environment for 6 years, he has a warm moist hide which is where he spends most of his time and he's always let me know when he was hungry by coming to the front and waiting for his food.
I noticed he wasn't eating lately( I had assumed it was due to Winter). this has gone on now for over 3 weeks.
I started to get worried when he shed 3 consecutive times and wasn't able to get it off himself for the very first time in his life.

After about a week of not eating, i did clean his cage and re-arrange a few things which he never used to mind so i don't believe theres an issue there. I have checked his feces for parasites and couldn't find any trace.
His diet used to consist of meal worms and crickets and was always excited to eat. He's lost weight in his tail and his belly looks to be a little more pink than usual, on top of that his face looks a little more narrow and he always wants to be hanging out by his water dish.
I know I should be bringing him to a reptile vet but his cagemate had very similar symptoms and the only thing he did for her was torture her until her last days, this was about 3 years ago and we still don't have any other reptile doctors. He still seems to be in good spirits and happy to see me, i just want to know if anyone has gone through anything like this and if they have any idea what i should do.

I realize this is all in a jumbled mess but i'm really worried about him and i'm too upset to write everything properly, so i wrote it out as i could remember it.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

yoshi'smom

OUROBOROS EXOTICS
I would bring your gecko to an experienced reptile vet.
It sounds like something could definitely be wrong.
Has your gecko gone to the bathroom at all since he's stopped eating?

thebrickburger

He has went since he stopped eating.

I have made an appointment but there isn't any real experienced reptile vets on the island. The last Leopard gecko i brought in, he couldn't identify the problem and she passed. I also tried enticing him with wax worms today but he only licked them and quickly lost interest.

I would bring your gecko to an experienced reptile vet.
It sounds like something could definitely be wrong.
Has your gecko gone to the bathroom at all since he's stopped eating?

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 104

thebrickburger

He still won't eat and continues to shed.

I brought him into his appointment today. The vet felt him over and said i shouldn't be too worried and insisted he needed a new UV light and to crush up worms to force feed him with. Is this sound advice?..

thebrickburger

Should i return to the vet?

Should i return to the vet? From everything i've read Leopard geckos don't seem to need UV lighting and he sounded really unknowledgeable despite being a reptile vet. : (

mbird

I'm curious, are you completely sure as to the gender of the gecko? if its female, it might be ovulating, and I've read that females regularly go on hunger strikes during the summer. I've read on other forums of lizards going on 2-3 month hunger strikes during breeding season. its kinda scary, but it may be all that it is.
can you get dubia roaches where you live? mine loves her roaches.
whatever it is, I hope your lizard pulls through for you!

Visit our friends