Skin Damage - Help/Advice

sangi39

So, my Leopard Gecko, Kami, who's coming up to about two years old now, was shedding last night, and I noticed this when I went to check on him after getting back from work:

https://i.imgur.com/rettoG5.jpg

(sorry it's not the greatest photo it looks to be a patch of dry skin surrounding a single missing scale)

I'm not sure if it's because of dry skin that's maybe not come away as easily as usual, or if maybe he's been attacked by a cricket that's mange to hide out in his tank overnight, or if he's caught himself on something, or what, but I was wondering if anyone might have any advice on how to treat it.

It doesn't seem to be affecting his behaviour at all. He's still having his usual wander, and he's up for being handled as normal, and he ate the wax worms that I leave i a bowl for him after he sheds. He does seem to flinch ever so slightly when that spot gets touched with a damp, smooth cloth, so I assume it must be causing him some discomfort.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Surface wounds like these usually heal on their own without any treatment. Be sure to check to make sure that he didn't catch himself on something. The next time he sheds, keep an eye on him. Sometimes the gecko sheds while the wound is still scabbed over and then, of course, the scab gets pulled off with the shed. I have a female that occasionally gets a similar wound for no reason on her side. If you notice that shedding is coming soon, see if you can pull off the skin around the area (if it's scabbed) without pulling off the scab.

Aliza

sangi39

Surface wounds like these usually heal on their own without any treatment. Be sure to check to make sure that he didn't catch himself on something. The next time he sheds, keep an eye on him. Sometimes the gecko sheds while the wound is still scabbed over and then, of course, the scab gets pulled off with the shed. I have a female that occasionally gets a similar wound for no reason on her side. If you notice that shedding is coming soon, see if you can pull off the skin around the area (if it's scabbed) without pulling off the scab.

Aliza

Thank you. It's reassuring to hear that someone else's leopard gecko has had a similar issue and has come out of it okay. I was wondering about his next shed, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it.

Glad to hear your gecko is doing fine, and thank you for the advice.

Visit our friends