SMALLER LEO

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A LEO THAT WAS TOUGH TO GET TO ANY SIZE ON?
I HAVE ONE FEMALE THAT HAS BEEN A STRUGGLE, YET ALL MY OTHERS ARE NICE AND BIG. SHE SEEMS PRETTY HEALTHY, BUT HER WEIGHT GOES UP AND DOWN. SHE STAYS AROUND 38-42 GRAMS AND IT SHOWS IN HER TAIL. SHE DOES NOT SHOW MUCH INTERST IN MEALIES, BUT THEY ARE IN HER ENCLOSURE AT ALL TIMES. SHE EATS DUSTED CRICKETS, BUT AGAIN NOT ALOT. MAYBE 3-4 EVERY OTHER DAY. SHE IS ABOUT A YEAR OLD.(NOT POSITIVE ON THE HATCH DATE) SHE IS VERY ACTIVE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS SHEDDING EITHER. COULD END UP JUST BEEING A LITTLE SMALLER? POSSIBLY A RUNT?

SCOTT

KelliH

Yes, I have had some like that over the years. Sometimes they will just all of a sudden pick up on eating and have a huge growth spurt, other times they never do and just remain very small adults. The ones I have like that I sell as "pet only". That's a gorgeous leo BTW.

D

Dee

She's a beauty, and she looks healthy enough. The weight issue sounds very like one of our African Fat Tails -- Jaxey tops out at 45g, but is absolutely healthy, just really petite. Have you tried waxworms, superworms, or even a really small pinkie mouse for her? We occasionally offer live pinkies to our laying moms in particular, to give them a boost; Jaxey takes them as well. Good luck, hope she fills out for you!

D

Dee

Awesome. Then I'd definitely say she's just a petite girl by nature lol!

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I also have one female that remain on the slim side, and doesn't like eating. Her weight fluctuates between 55-65g. During summer and autumn, she will at least eat something per feed, and her weight will slowly climb to around 65g; but when winter comes, she'll eat a lot less, maybe stop eating all together and lose about 10g, and her weight will remain in the 50s throughout spring, until summer comes and she'll start eating a little again.

This girl really is driving me crazy, she is very active though, runs to the edge of her tank and starts glass climbing everytime I walk near...but she just doesn't like eating.

Visit our friends