Snake trap

Dimidiata

Underwear drawers make much better snake traps imo XD. I put 3 of those around the house when gia got out, she didnt bite and i got stuck with 12 wasted dead mice(have to replace the bait) i suppose they would work though. The idea, i thought, was that the snake would go in, eat and then not be able to fit back out.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Using funnels and two-liter bottles* to make a minnow trap for snakes isn't exactly new; pet owners have been doing it for decades, field herpers and biologists have been using the shape even longer.

That said, the paper flap is an unnecessary addition. Most species of snake will tend to move along surfaces, the inverted funnel shape is what keeps them from getting back out. The flap doesn't contribute much of anything, since those species that are inclined to push against surfaces seeking egress won't be stopped by it and those that are disinclined won't find an exit hole hanging in space to begin with. If anything, it's slightly counterproductive because some snakes might not push through it to get into the trap.

Baiting snakes is also generally not worth the effort. Ambush predators outnumber active predatory species by a very wide margin and even those which are inclined to seek food by scent still have the sensory organs of a snake in doing so; airborne smells aren't that useful. A trail of rodent dander, skin oil or urine dragged across a surface leading to the trap might be... but a prekilled mouse sitting in a bottle isn't going to be a significant draw and will just get manky.

Placement of the traps is the real trick to using them with any degree of success. Identifying areas where the snake is likely to travel and positioning the opening so that there is a reasonable chance of them crawling inside. Underneath furniture, along walls and in any other places that have environmental attraction (like heat and commonly darkness).

*disadvantaged by a not-quite-right shape, but gain a big advantage in that they're cheap or free so you can put down thirty of them by messing around with a pair of scissors for an hour and giving up $1.50 in deposits.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I've used a very similar "trap" to try and catch a problem fish in an aquarium.
It caught every single fish but the one I wanted.
I was told this works really well for fish, this is the first time I've seen it for snakes.

Visit our friends