Special needs gecko

OctobersDusk

Hello, I have an interesting question. I was at petco getting supplies for my hamster (don't crucify me) and I saw a that they had a special needs Leo. I want to help this lizard, as I know big box store are notorious for poor care of their animals, but I want to make sure I know how. The lizard was hiding so I couldn't see her, but when I spoke with the associate they said she had a shed get stuck to her toes and that her feet were "messed up". After some careful consideration and a double check to make sure I had the supplies to set up a quarantine tank, I have decided to return tomorrow buy this gecko and try to help her. Any tips on what issues to expect or how to treat them?

Herpin Man

Sounds like the first thing you’ll need to deal with is the stuck shed. I would place it in a small container with wet paper towels for a half hour or so. This is to soften the skin. Fold a wet paper towel over the foot, and gently but firmly peel off the old skin. Don’t be surprised if the toes are missing.
I’m generally opposed to giving pet stores money for sickly or dying animals. Doing so only rewards their poor husbandry practices.

OctobersDusk

I returned today and the gecko was gone, so hopefully someone adopted it who knows what they're doing, and not someone who was just after the discount price. Thank you for the help though.

Visit our friends