Staying in one spot is something wrong???

PhoenixCoconut

Phoenix Gecko :)
Hi, my sisters beardie has been sleeping in the dame spot for 4 days now. What is wrong??:main_huh:(he is on sand because my sister likes the look :()

Arizona Leos

Hey Nicole Im not a huge expert on beardies but my guess would be he either has something wrong with him or he is trying to get heat. you should check under his belly to see if there are any burns. if there are, you may need medical attention. If he doesnt move from there anytime soon, i would think somethings wrong with him. By the way, is he not moving @ all??? And remember that beardies do like to bask:)

RyuuKirin

He could be brumating. Beardies sleep- often VERY soundly- during the winter. Ryuu, my 3 year old beardie, often sleeps off and on for about 4-5 months.

GeckoCrossing

How old is the beardie? Double check the temps, make sure that they are correct in the basking area and the cool side. How old is the UVB light and what kind and brand is it? What type of lights are used for the basking area/tank?
If everything is good with temps, UVB and lights... depending on how old the beardie is, it could just be brumation. Could also be parasites though... I'd get a fecal done to rule that out just in case.
But, if it is brumation, just let the lights turn on as normal everyday and wake the beardie up for a 15 minute bath in warm (90 degrees) water every 3 days. Also put out a fresh dish of veggies every day just in case he/she wakes up and is hungry.

About to go to sleep, so I'll reply in the morning if there's a reply :)

PhoenixCoconut

Ya hes brumating. I can't believe I did not think of that. But he's not even a year. Ya my sis like the way it looks and she says he likes it and he does he enjoys digging in it. (Oh ya and he went back into brumation.)

Thanks every one! :)

Nicole

PhoenixCoconut

How old is the beardie? Double check the temps, make sure that they are correct in the basking area and the cool side. How old is the UVB light and what kind and brand is it? What type of lights are used for the basking area/tank?
If everything is good with temps, UVB and lights... depending on how old the beardie is, it could just be brumation. Could also be parasites though... I'd get a fecal done to rule that out just in case.
But, if it is brumation, just let the lights turn on as normal everyday and wake the beardie up for a 15 minute bath in warm (90 degrees) water every 3 days. Also put out a fresh dish of veggies every day just in case he/she wakes up and is hungry.

About to go to sleep, so I'll reply in the morning if there's a reply :)

He has one of the uv/heat bulbs(Its eco terra). He's like......we got him on sept 11 he was like 5 inches. The heat is norm.95-115. And it doesn't seem like parasites id the problem he seems to match up with all the brumation symptoms. Ya he will be getting a bath today. :)(He's not interested in veggies at all!)

RyuuKirin

Ryuu also enjoys sand, but rather than risking impaction and who knows what else (because of their poo... bacteria can travel!) I gave her a sandbox (ok, a plastic shoebox) filled w/ playground sand that she can play in, but it doesn't stay in there often- she can still dig and hide if she wants, but it's not what she lives and eats on.

Russellm0704

Ya hes brumating. I can't believe I did not think of that. But he's not even a year. Ya my sis like the way it looks and she says he likes it and he does he enjoys digging in it. (Oh ya and he went back into brumation.)

Thanks every one! :)

Nicole

liking the way it looks is not a suitable reason to use something that can be harmful. But, i will agree with the digging. I do think it is natural and extremely important for dragons to dig. This can be accomplished by a sandbox(i think someone posted this above) or if you have to have sand in the whole cage just make sure to feed the crickets outside of the cage. Luckily, dragons will almost eat anything at anytime so if you throw them in a large storage tub and dump the crickets it wont take longer than 5 minutes. I wish geckos would be this easy for feeding. I wish there was a reptile with the personality of a beardie and the care of a gecko. I know im going off topic but it just amazes me how it is cheaper to care for 9 leopard geckos(all housed individually in 32 quart tubs) then it is to care for 1 beardie.

GeckoCrossing

Ryuu also enjoys sand, but rather than risking impaction and who knows what else (because of their poo... bacteria can travel!) I gave her a sandbox (ok, a plastic shoebox) filled w/ playground sand that she can play in, but it doesn't stay in there often- she can still dig and hide if she wants, but it's not what she lives and eats on.

I just wanted to quote this. My beardie, Blaze, would love it when I put her 'sand box' in her tank. She'd go crazy digging in it and flinging dirt/sand everywhere lol. I loved watching her do it. So cute :)

PhoenixCoconut

liking the way it looks is not a suitable reason to use something that can be harmful. But, i will agree with the digging. I do think it is natural and extremely important for dragons to dig. This can be accomplished by a sandbox(i think someone posted this above) or if you have to have sand in the whole cage just make sure to feed the crickets outside of the cage. Luckily, dragons will almost eat anything at anytime so if you throw them in a large storage tub and dump the crickets it wont take longer than 5 minutes. I wish geckos would be this easy for feeding. I wish there was a reptile with the personality of a beardie and the care of a gecko. I know im going off topic but it just amazes me how it is cheaper to care for 9 leopard geckos(all housed individually in 32 quart tubs) then it is to care for 1 beardie.
Yes we were going to change it but we sis not get to it I LOVE the sand box idea! He norm eat mealies. ANd yes bear dies are expensive!

Visit our friends