Stenodactylus petrii

P

Patrika

Well, a few months ago, I came home with one of these little geckos. I have been tossing around the idea of breeding. Do any of you know how to sex and breed these darling little geckos?

T

tryme

im not to sure how to sex them but my female has laid eggs. She was gravid when i got her.

P

Patrika

I got a couple pics of the underside of my gecko. They certainly arent great, quite blurry, they were from my cell phone. But hopefully some of you can determine whether this is a male or female? Im assuming this is adult size, body length of about 2-2.5 inches? Thanks again!

Haroldo

Looking at that tail base, looks like a male...but can't be sure (quite understandably) with these blurry pics. That said, now I am unsure you have Stenodactylus petri...they have slender/long whip-like tails. See here, what I believe are two different forms of S. petri:

IMG_2625.jpg

T

tryme

your petrii seem bigger than mine :S or is that pic just close up

P

Patrika

Ok, here are some new photos (much better quality, lol)! I would like to hear if you all think that this is indeed S. petrii, it was bought through a local pet store as such, but mistakes are frequent I hear. BTW, can you clarify this thing about spurs? Mine has what kind of looks like "fringe" right at the base of the tail, is this spurs or am I way off here? Thanks again, you all are quite helpful!

Haroldo

Patrika said:
Ok, here are some new photos (much better quality, lol)! I would like to hear if you all think that this is indeed S. petrii, it was bought through a local pet store as such, but mistakes are frequent I hear. BTW, can you clarify this thing about spurs? Mine has what kind of looks like "fringe" right at the base of the tail, is this spurs or am I way off here? Thanks again, you all are quite helpful!

Yes. Thanks for the better pictures. Looks like S. petri to me...can't tell with the vent area (washed out), but looks to be a male. The "spurs" I referred to are what you're looking at, at the base of the tail. You are correct. Keep them warm (85-90*F) and relatively dry. On "cool" end, mound a bit of sand that is kept slightly moist. Use inverted plant saucers for hides and you're set.

Visit our friends