Stick tail?

The lizards

Hey guys! So I’ve had my female leopard gecko for a little over 4 months now. She was a rescue from someone who dropped her off at a reptile store. She wasn’t a healthy weight. I took her in, fed her good for the time that I’ve had her and she hasn’t been gaining any weight. Do you think she could have stick tail? It would probably be a very minor case though. (She was used for breeding from the owner who dropped her off and the male bit her too hard on the tail once. That’s why I’ve been told that she has the bump.) Also any tips to try and get her weight up?

thanks!

Attachments

• C53CD9D6-BDA8-4B97-9AF7-F9F5847013C6.jpeg
    C53CD9D6-BDA8-4B97-9AF7-F9F5847013C6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The tail does look pretty thin. If she's eating and not gaining weight (and even if she's not eating) I'd recommend a vet visit and a poop sample if possible. There are tests for parasites that can be done with a vent swab even if the gecko hasn't produced any poop.

Aliza

The lizards

The tail does look pretty thin. If she's eating and not gaining weight (and even if she's not eating) I'd recommend a vet visit and a poop sample if possible. There are tests for parasites that can be done with a vent swab even if the gecko hasn't produced any poop.

Aliza
Unfortunately, I am unable to take her to the vet. Do you have any ideas on how to get her weight up? If she does have stick tail, is there any way to treat it? I've read online that it can be fatal and I'm worried about her.

Thanks!

LZRDGRL

Without a fecal smear, you can't treat it, because you don't know her condition. Some breeders, especially in Europe, do annual treatments of all their geckos, for example with Panacur, to deworm them and as a precaution. I've used Panacur before, but some of my geckos had worms, and they had been diagnosed by a reptile vet. The problem with treating it yourself is that you need to know exactly what kind of dosage to give, so your gecko will survive it and benefit from it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Remember that "stick tail" is not a disease, it's a symptom of a problem. All it mens is that the gecko is not only not eating but is also losing a lot of weight. Many geckos don't eat for quite awhile but their tails don't get any smaller. For a gecko to lose so much weight that the tail gets really thin, there is some medical problem going on.

Aliza

Visit our friends