Still Attached To Egg. Possibly deformed?

Kmay571

This gecko hatched this afternoon. His eyes looks odd and he is still attached to his egg. I put him on moist paper towels in his own cup in the incubator.

Any other suggestions?

74c5afbc985ed2b14314a3e895f04e6a.jpg
58432e402738f709c07001f00d626242.jpg
549fc21eb45c442fa212ab7fbfe48584.jpg
73bda362d64c4a19dc0ba6b490c6b175.jpg
6692520ed1bcf2432f81e66e78e92484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
At best, the gecko has its yolk sac still attached to its belly and the sac is also still stuck in the egg. At worst, the gecko has an abdominal hernia and its insides are coming out of the belly (I'm betting on the yolk sac). Squeeze the yolk sac out of the egg, but leave the sac connected to the gecko. It will dry up and fall off soon. Continue to keep the substrate moist while you're waiting for it to happen. The eye does look rounder than usual. It's possible that the eyelids are either missing or notched. Watch to see if the gecko can close its eyes. If the eyelids are completely missing, you will probably have to put the gecko down because its eyes will dry up and it will be painful. If it can close its eyes even partway, begin putting a drop of water on each eye several times a day to keep them moist. i've had good experience with this and in some cases, as the gecko matured it got more capable of closing and protecting its eyes.

Aliza

Kmay571

It has one full eye lid. The second eyelid is partially missing. I used a cotton swab to touch the side of its face and its eyelid closed a little and it rolled it's eye to cover it.
It completely separated itself from the egg last night and is walking around, but it still has what I assume is the yolk sack attached.

Update: I went to check on it quick. It had completely separated itself from its yolk sack. I got a better look at it and it appears his eyelid is split and one part rolls up to the top of his eye, making it appear rounder.

He also appears to have an issue with his front leg on the opposite side. It seems like his shoulder is locked so the top part is pressed against his side, so he kind of walks like he is throwing that side forward.
He appears to be gaping a lot. I'm not sure if it is related to his deformities of if he is trying to scare me when I walk to check on him.

Update:
He is in his own little tub and had been hiding in his humid hide. He has been licking the walls and drinking.

d0c1d20ede7b6660e5cda8016aead019.jpg
6a81df4f9ffdc5607927a0bb323014b2.jpg
c7aed89459530c18f5ae0b0088256716.jpg

Last edited:

Kmay571

When I checked on him this morning, he is able to extend the leg more. Out from his body. Maybe it was cramped up from being in the egg or from being attached to the egg. He did poop last night, so at least his digestive system is functioning.
When I told my mother (a special education teacher) about him, she immediately told me she was interested in making him a class pet. She would provide for his special needs and let kids admire him and use him to built up their confidence with their own disabilities.

Kmay571

His eye seems to have adjusted to his situation a little bit. It does not pop out as much as it used to, but not completely sunken in. He can close that eye completely now. He had an odd line on the back of his neck, I don't know if you can see in the pictures, but it looks like the area that was fused during development. He stays in his humid hide almost constantly.

e30a3b7387488e42762fbf4f237566b3.jpg
0ef3a4a75980e484269cf531f3f187c7.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've produced geckos like this on occasion. A few years ago I "sold" a gecko with a deformity (I either "sell" these geckos in exchange for the "buyer" making a donation to the local herp society or I give them to my local gecko rescue [geckosanctuary.com] to rehabilitate and re-home) to a woman who does reptile shows for special needs and other kids. I still see her on occasion and the gecko is doing well, and being a good representative of special needs creatures living a normal life.

Aliza

Kmay571

Here's an update:
I can't get him to eat anything. He did shed, but only got a few pieces off and I had to help with the rest. He still has a few pieces stuck on him. But he didn't eat it. He is pooping little green spots, which I believe is produced from the absorbed egg yolk. I just didn't think that he would go over a week and a half. Is that normal?

He isn't gaining weight. And seems to have lost the strength to hold himself up with his front legs. He just army crawls everywhere.

e2aefac805157ddbedc500e8c0f4ceaa.jpg
3ff8a1256a681eba5603a4197a690c9e.jpg
93a0a824bf0b20b41d234864c530c204.jpg
7734b4fd89fb06dfcf14c032367757fd.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He may have internal problems that you can't see. Your choices are to keep trying to feed him until he either responds or passes away, or to have him put down. I usually go for the keep trying plan, but there are other choices. It's hard to figure out sometimes how to put a gecko down humanely (there's been stuff written about it and there's a lot of disagreement). I usually ask my brother the (non-exotic) vet to do it for me and don't ask questions. I suppose I could feed a gecko in that situation to my beardie (it sounds really gross, but I'll bet it's quick and it's providing nutrition for another creature) but I'm not sure I could do that. Good luck with it.

Aliza

pipespets

I would squeeze mealworm guts or maybe even waxworm (for their fatty content) on his lips and he should lick it up. Any update on the little guy?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kmay571

I have been feeding him mealworm and super worm guts. He is still tiny, not much growth but he can still move around on his own. I work at a vet now, and I can get him euthanized there if need be. So far, he's a fighter. I'll keep feeding him. If he loses the ability to walk, I decided that would be the time to let him go.

He can shed almost completely on his own, except his toes for some reason, which is an improvement from the last shed. He got a mealworm in his mouth, but immediately spat it back out. He has no interest in food yet. But he does drink water from inside his humid hide.

He did secrete a clear, odorless liquid when I was feeding him last night. And it was quite a bit for a tiny guy.

He is shedding about once a week so far. But shedding means he is growing right?

be7230e83966f2e07c8bac74ac6ed637.jpg
747a3d16bd7154b4cdc894c0a889e3cd.jpg
4d21d7b918d6e42fe42710005a7827d1.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It doesn't look too bad. I've had hatchlings that have needed special attention for months, have been just 5 grams or less after 3-4 months and then all of a sudden figured out what food was and took off. I've had a few that didn't figure it out, but just keep it up and see where it gets.

Aliza

Visit our friends