Stinky baby?

Waighto

My beardie kind of smells :/. If I had to describe the smell I'd say he smells like cricket poop. I sauna him everyother day but it doesn't seem to help much. Is that normal?

prettyinpink

Well they smell a little, but it should not smell like poop. What substrate is your beardie on? He may have parasites and need a vet check, they should not smell.

Waighto

When they have parasites, do they look like they're fatter? He's on paper towels right now and lives on crickets and spinach and strawberries.

prettyinpink

Yea that's been posted before ;) As she already stated you want him off spinach.

You should change their diet, too much fruit isn't good for them.

I feed my guy mustard and collard greens along with some mixed in veggies and then his supers, and sometimes crickets. Fruits are on weekends usually, small amount.

I'm not sure about the fat part...I don't believe so, but I'd suggest taking a fecal sample to the vet, they may be willing to do it (mine was $25 for my leo) without the $63 for charging you to go to the vet to check your beardie out.

Hope this helps!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
What about the possibility of a fungal/yeast infection? Is that even possible? I don't know jack about beardies but I know that with other animals when they get skin infections like this they smell to high heaven.

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
are you smelling him inside his tank? cause beardies poop is potent to say the least. if he's in a clean enclosure, and you clean his poop regularly, the beardie itself shouldn't have a poop smell. but then again, ive never sniffed my beardies so maybe they do stink...

Autra

One of my wife's stunk a couple of times, but after spending a ton of time trying to figure out what might be wrong with them, I realized that she just had been so busy at work that she hadn't cleaned out his enclosure in about a week and a half, and the lil bugger had pooped in his favorite sleeping spot, and had laid in it.

It was a pain(well, not really a pain, just irritating that I had to clean out my wife's enclosures in addition to mine...hahaha), but the smell went away within 24 hours after I cleaned out his cage.

prettyinpink

Shawn, their poop is deadly! :p That's why I asked what substrate because if he was on sand maybe it was keeping it in. You should smell yours though, they do have a 'smell' to them. Wonder if leos do...hmmm

Waighto

I clean them pretty religiously. I have daily gecko time where I clean and feed everyone and poop doesn't stick around for more than 1 day because it gets tooo smelly for me XD. I got him a vet apointment for tomorrow so we'll have to wait and see XD

RyuuKirin

one thing to check too is that he maybe hasn't stepped in poo... Ryuu stepped in some of hers once and it got between her toes... OMG was that gross... not to mention hard to clean... I have never seen her with a full black beard until momma (me) got in there with an old soft toothbrush and scrubbed her feet....

prettyinpink

I'm not sure what puffyness is :( Maybe while you're there ask about that. If he's looking different than normal, yes I would mention it. But I don't know if that has to do with parasites...as I am not a vet.

monkeytechahoo

Boga doesn't really have a "smell" to say. I nuzzle him alot cause I'm the ONLY person he has black bearded since day one. *lol* (all I did was walk into the room...guess it's my karma *lol*)

He's a year old an lays flat like a pancake alot. Only "puffy" thing I've seen on him is when he flexes his beard.

Visit our friends