Stuck Shed on skittish gecko

arehman

My 1 year old leo, Milo, has been with me since March of this year. Every month (except for maybe March) he's gone through his shed and has done reasonably well except for a few of his toes.
I know that a suggested technique is a warm bath and some good hand eye coordination but he's still skittish and is only just now letting me pick him up.
I tried the bath earlier today, thinking I'd just give him some tough love, and he was terrified the entire time. I didn't manage to remove any shed before I decided to put him back in his tank.
So I guess my question is how do I go about getting this off when he is really not thrilled with me (especially because I stupidly recked his trust with said attempted bath)? I don't know how much shed can build up before he starts losing toes. I put it off as long as I felt comfortable to try and gain some level of trust but now I'm just worried for him.
The pictures I took today is of his first sploot with me in the room. They're not terribly close up on his toes but you can kind of see what I'm dealing with.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_085729.jpg
    IMG_20200816_085729.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200816_085725.jpg
    IMG_20200816_085725.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

JadedGeckos

keep doing the baths. maybe just let him soak in it without trying to take it off it will loosen it abit and then let him go around on the cork bark or more rough surface in his tank it might help him get it off when he drags his claws and toes over it.

when he is more comfortable use tweesers if u have any. might help you get more precise hold on just the shed instead of your fingers pulling his whole toes wich he might find freaky.

i dont know how often you handle him but i would handle mine twice aday morning and evening when they are mostly active and let them do whatever the rest of the day.

Visit our friends