Substrate Help!

crhunter

Hi All! My husband and I are in the process of researching and setting up space for a leopard gecko. In our research there is a TON of debate regarding what is best and safe. Without starting a substrate war here, any advice for new newbies on what is best and why? We have some lightly textured tile to put down. However, we are not sure as far as sand, clay, bark, etc. what is safest and most natural for the gecko. HELP!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here are my thoughts. Remember, there is more than 1 way to do things:
I think it's pretty universally accepted not to use particulate substrate with hatchlings and juveniles. For adults, the substrate closest to natural would be some kind of hard-packed earth. There is a commercially available product called "Excavator clay" that may achieve this. However, it's heavy and permanent. Sand is not natural for leopard geckos. Some people have used different soil mixes. I did have an enclosure for leopard geckos that was coco fiber and it worked well. Currently my substrate of choice is lightly texture ceramic tile since it conducts heat well, gives the geckos some purchase (so they're not sliding around) and looks nice. I provide a reasonably sized humid hide with coco fiber so they have a place to dig if desired.

Aliza

Visit our friends