Substrate question.

sam_fat_tail_gecko

Hey everyone I am very new.
What substrate can I use for fat tail gecko? Lots of websites and people saying different thinqs.
Can I use eco earth?
Reptile cage liner?
Any suggestions.thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DragonGecko

I personally use paper towels(for leopard geckos but id do the same if i had afts) not as pretty but easy to change out, cheap, and no worries on impaction

jxl22

You can use the repti carpet. But it needs to be cleaned often. Buy teo and rotate them with cleanings.
Or slate.
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Ive successfully kept and bred fat tails on a whole bunch of different substrates.. all have their pros and cons.. I've used Cypress Mulch, Coconut Husk Chips, Eco-earth, peat moss/vermiculite mix, newspaper, paper towel, & no substrate at all.

It really comes down to what works best for you and your setup.

I live in S. Florida so humidity isnt really an issue, so I have stuck with newspaper and paper towel.

LepoInc

Iron the repticarpet so there are no loops or lose threading that teeth and nails can get caught in

Sent via Tapatalk whilst caring for Eublepharis macularis'

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Best heating for Fat Tails is undertank belly heat. This is easily provided by a heat mat and you can use a regular florescent light fixture to add light to the display. Keep light cycle similar to your normal cycles outside. Fat Tails are nocturnal, so no lights at night. If you want to use a light bulb for your heat source, use a red "infrared" bulb so that it doesnt disturb the geckos. That can be kept on 24/7.

Olympus

Biologist & Ecologist
I've always kept my AFT geckos in naturalistic planted tanks. I use organic top soil for the bulk of it and then a layer of pet moss along the top. Then several plants and very large cork hides/tunnels, with several heat pads underneath for heat. On the subject of substrate, something small and particulate is always going to be a safer option, so that's what I go with. A mouthful of dirt is easy to pass, but a large pebble or bark chip not so much. Although it's uncommon.

As far as lighting, I have 2 5000K daylight fluorescents from Lowe's that make it daytime in the tank, keep the plants thriving, and add a couple degrees to the ambient temps. And at sundown I turn it all off and they get their dark nights.

Visit our friends