Substrate question

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
Quick question!

Is laterite safe to use as a substrate for an adult leo?

I have the lateritic soil type that crumbles easily and doesn't have sharp or rough grains and not the other kinds of laterite. Mine doesn't harden or clump up when wet and doesn't stain the water red if submerged.

I was thinking since laterite layers are deep in the soil, leo burrows might as well be in contact with laterite.

I posted the same question on 14 other non-reptile animal forum but so far only the hermit crab forum had doubts about it.

DrCarrotTail

I don't really know what laterite is but I still would stay away from anything loose. Even if it is 100% harmless it sounds like it may hold too much moisture or grow bacteria far more than some clean tile or paper towels would. I can't speak to whether the substance itself would be otherwise harmless though.

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
It is inert and a sterile kind of soil. I'm not worried about it catching moisture since our year-round humidity stays anywhere between 65% to 95% so i keep everything dry in my tank and i don't even use a moist hide! (Perks of our climate).

I may do an experiment soon though. Mix equal parts of lateritic soil, coco fiber and natural red desert sand (that i sneaked out of the country lol)

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Interesting. Here is a link for more info on laterite: Laterite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leopard geckos will ingest it and I don't think there will be any problems with impaction but it is full of iron and aluminium. I would have some questions on long term affects from the iron and aluminium and if their bodies can break it down properly.

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
I'm also curious why it would safe for fish, frogs and inverts who come into close contact with it everyday. I got some experimental geckos (non-leos) today to see if prolonged body contact or coincidental ingestion of small particles is harmful in the long run for leos. Guess 2 months is suffice for inducing a health symptom if ever there is one

Visit our friends