Switching to Hand Feeding

meaghani

It would appear that my male's "mind-altering surgery" back in September really was that - mind-altering.

His depth perception is MESSED UP. It probably wasn't the surgery; he's always been a little special when he hunts. But his vision does seem to be deteriorating rapidly.

I think I'm going to have to switch to hand feeding. I just tried with none too successful results. When I tried to feed him in the tank, he just hid and when I pulled him out and held him he tried to run away (as usual) and showed no interest in the worm.

Anyone have some tips?

sunshinegeckos

Well pulling him out and shoving a worm in his face might stress him out into not eating. Id try just leaving the worms in for a day. Some like to eat in peace lol if that doesnt work try tong feeding

meaghani

The tongs freak him out even more than my hand. And leaving the worm doesn't work. He gives up trying to catch it then it just lays there and dies.

OnlineGeckos

Leave him in his hide so he feels safe, then as suggested dangle the feeder at the entrance of the hide. You can do it in a way that he can't see the tongs. Another way is to just leave him in the hide and drop the feeders so they walk into the hide. Using crickets you can pull all their legs out except for 2 on one side. When you do it this way, they just crawl around in a circle which should stimulate movement, but make it very easy for your gecko to catch (hopefully).

Visit our friends