Symbol Manipulation Blues

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Communication is sort of interesting, from a biological perspective.

Many living things communicate on some level, not just animals either; plants, fungus and bacteria can share information with one another and even outside their own species. There are many different ways this can be accomplished; visuals and direct behaviors, chemically/physiologically, with scents and flavors and vibrations, colors and lights and textures. Some of these are pretty familiar to us and some of the ways we share information (we "get it" when we see a dominant gorilla pound its chest) and some of them are pretty alien to our conscious understanding (like how dying pine trees release gases that can stimulate the production of reproductive cells in members of their own species within a several mile radius, depending on the prevailing weather patterns).

As a species, we're pretty far ahead of the game when it comes to symbol manipulation though. The use of abstracts that are disconnected from the concept we want to communicate in order to relay information. Words, both verbal and written (and the fact that these can be the same thing is just astounding) are something we do exceptionally well. Some other animals can handle a few dozen, sometimes up to a few hundred of these but a normal person knows thousands and thousands of words.

Words that are supposed to be used to communicate a common concept, to share information between individuals who have a common understanding of the concepts the words are intended to represent. If there is no mutual comprehension, then there is no communication. Something that has caused me to have a bit of an internal debate, jumbling together the subjects of responsible communication and adaptive language into a single enormous topic.

When I was in... fifth or sixth grade, my English teacher gave the class two pieces of writing by the same author, to use as examples. They happened to be Martin Luther King Jr's "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" and the text of his "I Have a Dream" speech. Two pieces of writing that are by the same author, broadly addressing the same subject and holding the same position; which are radically different when looked at side by side. The language used, the choice of words, the tone and rhythm are very distinct in each of them. Because, or so my teacher at the time proposed anyway, they were written to communicate with two very different audiences. The letter was a response printed in a newspaper to an editorial where local religious leaders were condemning King's civil disobedience, written by an educated intellectual to communicate with other educated intellectuals. The speech was intended for a wider audience, many of whom had been denied ready access to the same level of academic opportunity that he personally had received. There are other dividing lines, reason versus passion and so on; but the choice of words indicates an awareness of the audience, targeted communication that ensures an effective understanding. This is responsible communication, choosing symbols that can be understood, which are shared in common between the communicator and the comunicatee.

Sometimes I am not so good at that idea of self-imposed limitations of vocabulary, though depending on who it is I am speaking to, the results can be very different. Some people look up words they don't know or ask for clarification (that's what I do when it comes up) and others just skip it and fail to understand.

Then there's adaptive language. Language changes, over time. Words are created to describe new things in a changing world, to convey concepts which didn't previously exist. Words fall into disuse as ideas are set aside or discarded. Sounds and pronunciation changes as we all adapt to the common use of other people, dialects and speech patterns change over time and over space. Sometimes there are distinct events which can alter some aspects rather abruptly; the Simplified Spelling Board for example, is why there are U.S. and British spellings for many words (color/colour, meter/metre). A combination of internet chat rooms and texting capable cell phones have given rise to enormous changes in the popular approach to writing. English has proven to be one of the most adaptive languages in the world. The upside of that is versatility, english speaking cultures have no problems making up new words and adding them to their lexicon quickly and easily (consequentially many other languages simply use the english word for whatever this new thing is). The downside is the potential breakdown of communication between individuals who have different vocabularies. We teach college courses so that people can comprehend what Chaucer wrote six hundred years ago. The average slob on the street can barely understand Shakespeare and he was writing four hundred years ago. Hell, I knew post-graduate students who couldn't make their way through Catcher in the Rye and it was written less than fifty years earlier and (while it is significant from a literary and cultural standpoint) it is not exactly intended to be reserved for the intellectual elite. El Cid was written nine hundred (or more) years ago and is easily understood using modern conversational Spanish, because the language didn't evolve as much.

So why do I have no problems accepting Americanized spellings and the way English changed over the centuries before I learned it to the modern incarnation I use conversationally... but have nothing but contempt and spite for LoLspeak? Is this my failing, a rigidity that doesn't let me change and adapt my vocabulary to a rapidly evolving language and modern usages or is it really the complete breakdown of the ability for my culture to communicate? Because I see so many misunderstandings that I honestly think most LoLspeakers would be better off just grunting at one another with emotional emphasis... or that we'd all be better off if they had been drowned in a bucket of tar shortly after birth.

I only really bring any of this up because it keeps coming up when I use the internet. I get so frustrated by the inability of some people to understand anything that is said to them, by these shifting frames of reference and by the comprehension gamble I take anytime I choose a word. Will they understand exactly what I am trying to say, because we agree on an identical definition of the words I used? Will they misunderstand by a little bit? By a lot? Will they fail to form any idea at all because it is just outside their vocabulary entirely? Will I communicate a proper intonation and emotional context or will it be lost because we have a different nuanced understanding of what the words meant when arranged in the order I chose? Where does this Kids in the Hall sketch fit in? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMsKIK4WG2s Or is it an infinite monkey situation at times?

... I really just wanted to tell someone that their deformed lizard was a tragic abnormality that should have been culled the moment it hatched rather than celebrated with youtube videos, but I knew... just knew, that they would never understand what I was trying to say.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Oh and uh... just in case anyone was going to respond to that rambling rant, it should probably be noted that I am only willing to accept partial responsibility for it and may choose, at some point in the future, to divorce myself from it entirely and not defend or discuss any points. I've been awake for forty eight hours and spent the last six or so conscious as a result of about three gallons of Mountain Dew, occupying my time drawing parallels between Ovid's Metamorphoses and various events in the Old Testament of the Bible, wondering how many of them I was potentially getting dead wrong as neither of those texts were originally written in English and I am incapable of reading them as they were originally written, wondering if the translation introduced cultural bias. While listening to Bach, which does things to a man to begin with and which was compounded by the fact that everything was titled in German and I could only sort of work out what about half of them meant on my own. All of which had me thinking about language and quite possibly completely out of my damn mind.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Well, I may be nearly as fried as you are, having driven from Boston to DC, looked at 2 colleges with my 17 year old twins, driven to Philly, spent 3 hours picking up my daughter from downtown and taking her back to the suburbs in a raging (for Philly) snowstorm and then had the car get stuck going up the driveway.

Hoping my post will be shorter than yours, I can raise the following points:

--in the abstract, how much an individual "tolerates" the way language changes has something to do with where on the spectrum they are between prescriptive and descriptive linguistics. Language Academies and Language Planners are prescriptive linguists and sociolinguists are descriptive linguists.

--Communication is more global and faster as well. English may change faster because it's being used by many more people. Interestingly, Hebrew, a semitic language, has changed considerably due to the influence of English, an Indo European language, to the point where English based words are being conjugated as Hebrew verbs. In addition to changing more quickly, with email we have less time to consider a piece of communication which affects how we respond to it (it's harder to "tear up" an email we've "written" than to "tear up" a letter)

--In addition to all the usual parts of language/communication like syntax, morphology, semantics etc. there is also the issue of "pragmatics" which means our communication intent and how we go about expressing that. This can include the use of sarcasm, body language and how we choose to construct a phrase. There are cases where one person is more successful at conveying the identical message than another person and this has to do both with the speaker's previous history and relationship with the listener and also what techniques the speaker uses to convey his/her message. There is also the issue of how willing a listener is to hear the message. The more willing the listener is to hear the message, the more direct the speaker can be and the fewer strategies the speaker has to use. For example, you can tell the average 5 year old trying to wash the dishes: "You're not doing that right. Let me show you". Try that on the average 35 year old. In that case, it may be more effective to say "I wonder if you've thought about maybe doing it a little differently. That sometimes works better for me". The use of the words "wonder", "if", "a little" and "sometimes" soften the message and make it more tentative. It's not what the speaker is thinking of course (s/he is probably thinking "why are you washing the dishes in such a stupid way when anyone can see that you should do it my way?"), but the direct approach seldom works.

--my ultimate point, I guess (a little softening phrase there) is that "plain old direct American English" is not the simplest way to get the message across. Sometimes, as you know, there's no way to get the message across. If you think about the "direct" message and the message with "softeners", you may see why some of your messages are not as well received as you would like.

I hope some of this makes sense. We have 1 memorial service and 3 more colleges to go in the next 2 days and it's way later than I was hoping it would be when I started this.

Aliza (former linguistics major)

ajveachster

You bring up an interesting point. I am often the person who changes how something is worded so others can understand the concept of what is written. I also do not do text speech very well. I am also a person that helps others who are direct to soften speech so others will be able to take it with no offense.

Visit our friends