SYR no longer available

fl_orchidslave

We've tried all the services and found fed-ex to be the most dependable with delivery schedules. For both outgoing and incoming animals. We pay the $5 pick up fee to avoid a package being overlooked at various retail outlets pick up centers (it happened). It saves a little $$ to use the smallest appropriate sized box. Once you set up an account with them, jump thru a few hoops, you're verified and good to go.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
well that sucks, this is what i got when i logged in to see what was going on...

r1wsh2.gif

For what it's worth, I was to ship an animal about a week and a half ago via SYR, and the website had that same prompt when I tried to buy the label. A day later, the prompt was gone, I bought my label and all was right in the world. It may not be connected to this issue at all.

latshki

Breeder in the making
I don't know if this helps or what, but you guys had it cheap
a flat shipping rate here is about 90$ and if I were to ship across Canada it would be about 170$ for a 12x9x6 box

so if it comes to 60 now for you, id say thats not so bad, I'd take it any day

Northstar Herp

I don't know if this helps or what, but you guys had it cheap
a flat shipping rate here is about 90$ and if I were to ship across Canada it would be about 170$ for a 12x9x6 box

so if it comes to 60 now for you, id say thats not so bad, I'd take it any day

Hey pal, you won the Olympic hockey game, so I don't care what it costs you to ship, you have nothin to gripe about.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I have to ship Monday.:( I really hope the issue is fixed by then. I haven't used my UPS account since SYR, so I think the account might have been closed.:(

gixxer3420

In my opinion UPS is the best carrier out there. If I had to chose between fedex or ups it would be a simple decision, UPS all the way.

Verified and having a business account is two different things. Anybody can be a verified shipper but you have to have a tax ID number to have a business account.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
In my opinion UPS is the best carrier out there. If I had to chose between fedex or ups it would be a simple decision, UPS all the way.

Verified and having a business account is two different things. Anybody can be a verified shipper but you have to have a tax ID number to have a business account.

So do you need to be verified to ship reptiles through UPS if not using a company such as SYR or RE? Or can I just go to my UPS store and purchase a label from them? btw...they know i ship reptiles and know what is in the box every time i go to their store to drop off.

Last edited:

goReptiles

It doesn't bother me, as I haven't shipped much this year, and when I've received things, I was never offered cheaper shipping. I had one guy say, 'I'm shipping via SYR, and the cost is $50' He wasn't but a few states away from me.

gixxer3420

You can get a business account set up through UPS as long as you have a tax id number for selling your geckos. Yes they know what I ship and know what is in the boxes I ship. My UPS account rep checked my website out before I got my business account through them.

Keith N

winning in hockey is mandatory for canadians
most of the american NHL players are from canada

eh, Yeah my rate went up $20 difference to have my gargs shipped to me on Tuesday. Like Robin said maybe shows will start to get better if people know they can pretty much get more quality or another gecko with that savings.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
I think everyone will live with or without the label resellers. Remember when gas prices went up (before STR was around) and shipping a 12"x12"x6" box went from $45 to $65 within a few months? No one liked it but we just dealt with it. Hopefully it does make local shows better!

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
I think everyone will live with or without the label resellers. Remember when gas prices went up (before STR was around) and shipping a 12"x12"x6" box went from $45 to $65 within a few months? No one liked it but we just dealt with it. Hopefully it does make local shows better!

I completely agree. People need to get out of the mentality of being so spoiled with shipping rates, if they want the animal bad enough then they will fork out the cash for it.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger

It's not the discount that I'm concerned about so much as the attitude UPS is showing toward shipping herps, how long until they shut down all herp shipping even for account holders?

Northstar Herp

I'm with ya Tony. There are bigger concerns from this than a little cost increase. Hopefully, it'll turn around and things will go back to normal.

BTW- I know California is a big state, but before the ban I shipped to CA and it was $46. I just priced CA again, different zip, but it was $63. Not as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
It's not the discount that I'm concerned about so much as the attitude UPS is showing toward shipping herps, how long until they shut down all herp shipping even for account holders?

I'm wondering if the concern has more to do with shipping reptiles or brokering labels. Thinking optimistically, maybe they have more trust in people following their rules directly rather than following their rules through a label reseller. Plus, UPS makes more money if people have to ship directly through UPS.

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
I honestly don't believe that it's an herp related issue. I do believe that it is a matter of reselling shipping labels. The discount was only there due to the fact it was a high volume reseller of the labels. I have talked with 3 different UPS stores in my area and they have no issues with shipping properly packaged herps that are labeled.

Not to mention the fact that FedEx doesn't appear to have any issues with shipping herps. I don't see this as a major issue other then people having panick attack before all details are given out.

It's the same idea as screaming fire in a crowded building, you'll have the people that do a personal safety check and asses the situation and you'll have the people that freak out and jump out the windows. I laugh at those fools that jump out the windows before knowing the facts of the situation.

Visit our friends