Tank Suggestions

dawnstrudel

Hi there!
My mom had two leopard gecks that I have stolen from her because she wasn't feeding them!!
Anyways! I've had them for a couple months now, and now that I've gotten them on a proper eating schedule, and they have gained proper weight, I need to know the next best step for their housing. (I didn't want to change too many things at once for them, that's why I'm asking about this now and not earlier)
My mom has had them living together in a standard 10 gallon aquarium type tank.
I don't really think this is acceptable for them. They're about 3-4 years old now so they're quite big and I think they need more living room.
What should I do?
Because they've lived together their whole lives I thought I should upgrade to a much bigger tank. However I'm not sure what the standards are for these guys living together.
Would two bigger tanks be better? Because I was also considering that.
Anyways, suggestions welcome and very much needed!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A 10 gallon isn't really a good size for even 1 adult. Are they both female? A good size is a 20 gallon long (30"x12"x12"). You can also build them a second level by putting a 12" tile on 4 PVC legs. You can heat the upper level by sandwiching a mini UTH between 2 tiles (and putting wooden or plastic dominos in each corner between the two tiles to vent the heat).

Aliza

dawnstrudel

A 10 gallon isn't really a good size for even 1 adult. Are they both female? A good size is a 20 gallon long (30"x12"x12"). You can also build them a second level by putting a 12" tile on 4 PVC legs. You can heat the upper level by sandwiching a mini UTH between 2 tiles (and putting wooden or plastic dominos in each corner between the two tiles to vent the heat).

Aliza
Helllllo! Yes, they are both female! I definitely agree, the 10 gallon isn't even good for 1 of them! Are you recommending a 20 gallon for each or both of them?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's up to you. I keep up to 2 geckos in a 20 long and up to 3 in a 20 long with an additional 12"x12" second level. Be aware that sometimes geckos can get along together for quite awhile and then lose it all of a sudden. I just had to remove one gecko from a group of 3 who have been caged together for years but all of a sudden one was getting bullied. She's by herself now and thriving.

Aliza

Visit our friends