Terrarium Size Suggestions

Evergreen_97

Hello! I'm new to the gecko keeping hobby and thinking about buying day geckos. At the moment, I would like to have 2-3 peacock day geckos, lined day geckos, gold dust day geckos, and/or any of these combinations. Do you think keeping these three gecko species (one female each) or a pair in a 20-gallon terrarium would be sufficient?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Howdy! Welcome to the forum!

I usually don't recommend cohabitation for different species. Many people do it and get away with it, but if there are ever any issues it's usually the first thing I'd point to.

That being said, sizing still sounds a little on the small side - definitely for 3 animals.

You could make 1 gecko the happiest gecko in the world in a nice 20 long though ! :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Day geckos not only don't do well with mixed species, they sometimes don't do well with the same species. I agree that a 20 gallon (hopefully turned on its side --alternatively a 12"x12"x18" exoterra) is probably the minimum size for 1 gecko. A larger enclosure is even better. If you want to try more than 1 (of the same species), I think you're going to need minimally 18x18x24 or 18x18x36

Aliza

Visit our friends