The "ethics" of breeding

Jeremy Letkey

Jaded by reality!!
Gregg M said:
The only thing that bugs me is when people talk about how much hard work it is to keep, breed, and sell leopard geckos... LOL

Gregg, I think that this quote is what could be taken as offensive.

Hard work does not have to mean phsyically intensive. Taking care of more than a few animals can be and is very time consuming. It can also be labor intensive. It may not be seen as physically grueling work but standing on your feet, bending and lift (even light weight ) can be exhausting when done for hours at a time.

There are many people who do not perform blue collar work that are tired at the end of their day. ;)

nwheat

Great thread, Jason! Working with my animals is certainly one of my favorite things to do. I love caring for and watching the animals and I've chosen to work with leopard geckos & corn snakes in particular because I love the genetics behind the morphs. It can seem more like work when the animals need to be cleaned and the kids want me to do something else, but for the most part I've found a good balance. Now if I could just figure out how to make that elusive profit! I suppose I would have to stop buying snakes and travelling to shows where I'm not vending. :main_no:

I'm sure that we would all like to make a profit (I certainly would) and you are right - there is nothing wrong with profiting from our animals as long as we are honest to our customers and provide quality care for our animals.

Gregg M

Registered Member
Jeremy Letkey said:
Gregg, I think that this quote is what could be taken as offensive.
Well I apologize then... I did not mean it offensively... What I was getting at is that these are not hard animals to keep even in large numbers and anything that you do as a hobby is not work...

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Gregg M said:
What I was getting at is that these are not hard animals to keep even in large numbers and anything that you do as a hobby is not work...
What about those that do this 'hobby' full-time? Or as a business? In these cases, it's not a hobby... it's working full-time. During the months of July and August, I work 10-12 hour days, 7 days a week. I'm not sure how many leopard geckos you keep, but taking care of all mine is VERY hard work. It doesn't have to mean that I don't love my work, though!

Now, back on topic of the etchics of breeding, with a little less arrogance, OK?

Visit our friends