the first breaths of a leopard gecko (video)

robin

http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=56657

"my first egg was laid about two months ago. it was starting to get HUGE but too huge. on one side it had a transparent look and when russ and i candled it we saw a smallish black blob and LARGE yellow area. so i made the decision to cut the egg.

i slit the egg at first a quick burst of liquid but then green i figured the baby was dead. so i began to open the egg. there was a HUGE amount of yolk and then i come across a fully formed snow baby! i thought for sure it had drowned because of the massive amounts of fluid and yolk stuff in the egg. i began to remove the egg matter around the baby and i gently uncurled him and he started to move. he was alive!

right now he is in a container kept warm. he is breathing and moving but not walking yet. he still has some yolk attached.

he is weak but i do think he will be fine. i also believe if he had been left in the egg he would have died.
i was inspecting the egg after i put him away and it looks as though the huge excess of yolk and stuff was most probably a twin that did not develop. i have a couple of videos i will post in the video section. these were taken right after i got the last of the membrane off him.

i will keep you guys updated on him/her"

these could make some people kinda squeamish so view at your own risk

please no negative comments.

video 1

[YT]4tpQYgUXgyg[/YT]

video 2

[YT]g1sZkOqCSjs[/YT]

* note * those were not just a stimuli reaction to me touching the gecko. he/she was actually trying to lift itself up and walk (after i took the video)

Last edited:

ariana

that would be a leo i would keep forever :) i wouldve bonded with the little thing the instant it breathed!!!
that lil one is gonna love you forever.
u made the right choice and i hope he/she makes it!

Visit our friends