Thinking about breeding - How to familiarize yourself?

procyonloser

Hi there, like I said, I'm beginning to think about breeding two of my leopard geckos (in possibly 2021) and I was curious to talk to other breeders.

I don't want to breed really to become a breeder, moreso I'm curious about the process and the results of a possible clutch.
I have a female that is a normal giant 66%het RAPTOR who is also 50% Fascio (never bred) & a male mack snow RAPTOR (has been bred, but not by me.) She's a good size, being a giant, and he's very large for not being a giant - so I have to admit I'm curious how that size might carry on, and if she is het RAPTOR, how big a variety I might get. Not to mention how the E. Macularius Fascio in my girl might affect how the morphs are visually displayed.

I didn't get them with the intention to breed, I've had them for a few years. I've been thinking more about what their offspring could look like, and began looking into breeding.

I'm learning more about the genetics as I go (the calculator on morph market is very helpful, but I know not the end all to be all.)
I've been looking into the core aspects of cost to breed, hatchling bins, food, medical aspects of things that could go wrong.

But, I'm curious - how do you familiarize yourself with morph differences, even at young age of the hatchlings? Is it just time and skill?

Thanks, I know this was a lot of word vomit all in one go.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's great you're asking now as opposed to sometimes when people say "I just got two eggs. What should I do about an incubator?". There are a few articles below that may help. The other thing to do is to google "breeding leopard geckos" and read everything. You'll find that a lot of the information is the same. Come back to the forum and ask about information that conflicts.
Here are the articles. One is about breeding on a small scale and one is about some basic genetic information:

Aliza

Visit our friends