Thinking about working with AFTs in the near future

Vector

I've been doing a little thinking and I'm quite interested in working with AFTs, more specifically Albinos, Stripes, and the Wild Type look. I'd love to do this as a small hobby and my personal goal is to produce healthy, high contrast geckos. Once I'm comfortable, I'll move up to the more expensive morphs but first, I'm only interested in keeping them as pets. I've already read caresheets and made a shopping list of what I will need. I must say they've been a long time favorite and I actually prefer keeping them more-so than leos. I don't know, just love their appearance and that there isn't a billion morphs yet lol and the Albinos are beautiful!

I'd like to start my own AFT lines but I'm wondering what/where would be some good places to acquire some, preferably captive hatched? I rarely see them at the reptile show here and I've seen one wild type at a local petstore that has them every now and then. Anyone know of any good places to buy a few?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Check out crestedgecko.com, theurbangecko.com and jmgreptile.com. They all have high end, expensive fatties but also some of the kind you're looking for. I got a lovely het albino male from crestedgecko.com a few years ago for about $60 and he is one of my foundation males now.

Aliza

turbogex

I work with them as well as other members here. I have a couple available now. I would watch with buying from a pet store they will most likely be wild caught not captive breed.

Treefolk

I work with them as well as other members here. I have a couple available now. I would watch with buying from a pet store they will most likely be wild caught not captive breed.

Agreed.

But with that said. Most new genetic traits (dominated, recessive, codom) come from wild caught genetics. So someone has to do the work. Some traits come out of captive populations, but it is rarer.

KTyne

Kayla
I just received two new AFTs from The Urban Gecko and they are gorgeous and perfect. :)

I would definitely get into AFTs, they are wonderful! Awsome personalities, gorgeous Geckos, fun little guys. :) Plus they seem to hold their value much better than Leos since they aren't as prolific (don't lay as many eggs per season). They also have a lot better chance for you to "discover" a new morph since people haven't worked with them as much.

I'm planning on starting to breed AFTs next season once my Geckos are at breeding age/weight. So excited!

Visit our friends