Thinking Of Getting A Leo!

fishgirl

So, Hi Everyone!
As you can probably guess, I'm transitioning from the wonderful world of aquatics to amphibians!!!
I have kept tropical freshwater and saltwater fish since I was seven, so I think it's time for a change.
The more I have been reading about geckos, the more I feel like a leo is probably the right fit for me. But, I guess that's my first question. Based on the info below, is a leo really the right fit? I need to preface this with the fact that I have no intention of going out and buying a pet any time soon. I still have a lot of reading to do to make sure that any pet that I get is the right fit, and that I can give it the best life possible.
In terms of enclosure, I have a 29 G tall (I know, Leos won't use much of the vertical space) tank that I would like to use. I know that I need a minimum of 3 hides (warm, cool, humid).
My big questions come with heating. I know that an under tank heater is best, but with the extra height, would I also need a bulb? Also, is there any way that an under tank heating pad could be a fire hazard? I am definitely going to invest in a nice thermometer, but it will be against a wooden stand.
In terms of substrate, I'd really love to use something natural... I live somewhere with 7-16 percent humidity, so would I need to add some humidity to my leo tank? If so, wouldn't that mean that any substrate that I use would need to be humid (ish). I really want to give my leo the best life, so I hesitate to use something like eco-earth that may cause respiratory problems, but isn't the point mute if it needs to be wet?
Finally, I'm curious about feeding! My plan is to buy a leo that is already eating mealworms, as that is what I hope to feed (dusted with calcium and multivitamin). How often is it that geckos just "decide "to stop eating a certain food? I can switch to dubia roaches if absolutely needed, but I can't do crickets...Thanks for listening to my rambling and thank you in advance.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome and great idea to be thinking about a leopard gecko. Here are my thoughts:
Enclosure: a 29 is fine. I add a 12"x12" second story to my enclosures and let the geckos get up there by climbing on their humid hide, so that's a way to use the height (there are also gecko hammocks that a lot of geckos like).

Heat: I've been running multiple under tank heaters for about 17 years and never had a problem. These days I prefer ZooMed heat tape. It's a rubberized heating element that comes in various lengths (for that size enclosure a 14' or 25' size is best --note that 6' is unheated). I tape it on the bottom according to directions with Nashua tape (looks like a roll of duct tape but it's aluminum foil with paper backing and is the only thing I've found that doesn't sag) and if I want to change enclosures I can just pull off the tape and move it somewhere else. The under tank heaters come with these little feet that you stick on the bottom of the enclosure but I prefer to use plastic or wooden dominoes which give me an entire 1/4" clearance from the bottom. My enclosures have been on wood, marble and I've even used the heat element on plastic enclosures (with a thermostat) and had no problem. I'm assuming you're planning to invest in a thermostat as opposed to a thermometer.
The essential thing with leopard geckos is belly heat. As long as the ambient temp is comfortable for humans you don't need anything else.

Substrate: I'm including a pair of articles about making a bioactive enclosure. I did have one with eco earth and never had a problem

Humidity: As long as you have a humid hide, don't worry about humidity. I'm in New England with very low humidity in the winter due to forced hot air heat and pretty high humidity in the summer because we have no AC. Everyone is fine

Feeders: Some leopard geckos live on mealworms their whole lives. When I was breeding I brought up all my hatchlings on mealworms but the ones I kept into adulthood mostly got tired of them. You can see how it goes. Other alternatives are, as you mentioned, dubia roaches and also super worms which move more than mealworms. Occasional feedings of hornworms or silkworms provides variety as well.

I hope this is helpful.

Aliza

AndyBunn

So, Hi Everyone!
As you can probably guess, I'm transitioning from the wonderful world of aquatics to amphibians!!!
I have kept tropical freshwater and saltwater fish since I was seven, so I think it's time for a change.
The more I have been reading about geckos, the more I feel like a leo is probably the right fit for me. But, I guess that's my first question. Based on the info below, is a leo really the right fit? I need to preface this with the fact that I have no intention of going out and buying a pet any time soon. I still have a lot of reading to do to make sure that any pet that I get is the right fit, and that I can give it the best life possible.
In terms of enclosure, I have a 29 G tall (I know, Leos won't use much of the vertical space) tank that I would like to use. I know that I need a minimum of 3 hides (warm, cool, humid).
My big questions come with heating. I know that an under tank heater is best, but with the extra height, would I also need a bulb? Also, is there any way that an under tank heating pad could be a fire hazard? I am definitely going to invest in a nice thermometer, but it will be against a wooden stand.
In terms of substrate, I'd really love to use something natural... I live somewhere with 7-16 percent humidity, so would I need to add some humidity to my leo tank? If so, wouldn't that mean that any substrate that I use would need to be humid (ish). I really want to give my leo the best life, so I hesitate to use something like eco-earth that may cause respiratory problems, but isn't the point mute if it needs to be wet?
Finally, I'm curious about feeding! My plan is to buy a leo that is already eating mealworms, as that is what I hope to feed (dusted with calcium and multivitamin). How often is it that geckos just "decide "to stop eating a certain food? I can switch to dubia roaches if absolutely needed, but I can't do crickets...Thanks for listening to my rambling and thank you in advance.

Hi this book might help you. And also follow Alizas advice.

Samcman

Leopard gecko on YouTube makes amazing videos if you want to get as much info as possible, I’ve learned so much from her and continue to better improve my Leo’s set up and overall care so that she can thrive as much as possible

Visit our friends