Thoughts.

JordanAng420

Some of you may not like what I am about to "rant" about. But most, if not all of you need to hear it. Maybe i'm just UBER cranky lately, but regardless, this has been building up and here it is.

I like to think of myself as a GeckoForums.net veteran. I've been around since 2007 (which I believe was when it was created).

For me, this used to be one of the most friendly, informative forums I have ever belonged to. It's definately still informative, but has been pretty loose in the "friendly" department.

I feel like there are too many "hard-heads". People that feel like they are being helpful, but are coming across as complete jerks in each and every one of their posts. Some of these people have only a few months of membership under their belt, but post like they they're some big-shot. What's up with the attitudes?? I understand the point of educating people that need to be educated, but there is a fine line between "educating" and being downright disrespectful.

I feel like a lot of new folks come here looking for advice or information, and I feel like most of them are being chastised for it. Every single person with even the slightest intention of breeding is immediately shot down. If you can't get to a vet, you're neglecting your animal. God forbid someone asks a question that's been asked before. Yes, a lot of these problems need to be addressed, but not with the attitudes that I have been seeing.

I feel like there are a lot of negative attitudes and lots of hostile activity, and personally I am a little sick of it.

And I don't plan on arguing with anybody in this thread. I just wanted to get my thoughts out there. Maybe i'm not the only person that feels this way. Something tells me i'm not. I just happen to be the one speaking up about it.

Rant over.

ZombiGecko

DragonGecko
Ive been on herea few years(forgot my old usernames password and no longerhave that email) but it does seem like people are more harsh. We all have to start and learn somewhere.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Thus the downfall to internet/forum communication. I agree with you and although it does at times seem redundant if I click on new posts and see 10+ threads about the same thing, I will pitch in where necessary or if I see information which I don't believe is accurate or fitting for the situation/question being asked. The thing is, if you don't want to help then just ignore them or their thread. However, I also feel that some people take everything to heart and need to understand that someone may not be being rude or mean but in fact may be from another country so their English/grammar is blunt and rough or it is simply a misunderstanding. We need a combination of people relaxing their attitude/pride, thickening of skin, and understanding this is a open forum where everyone has differences in how and why they do things the way they do.

On a side note...how hard was it for you to get your VTS in Anesthesia?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I hear you. This is almost unavoidable, unfortunately, in a forum with such a large membership. For people who don't want to come across as "harsh", the best bet is to read over your post and make sure you've used phrases like "I think", "possibly", "it could me", "in my opinion" etc. which go a long way towards softening the advice. For people who find themselves frequently being offended, it helps to just think "uh-huh" and go to the next post.

Aliza

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I agree. When I joined this forum, I was torn apart for asking a "whats this morph" question.
With a little friendliness, that whole situation could have been avoided. I joined this forum, and continue to stay, for the resourses. There are some very knowledgable people use utilize this site.
In reality, theres more to life than sassing people on the internet.
If someone disagrees with your point of few on a thread...who cares?

The only things that bothers me is when people are abusing their animals and posting about it on the internet. That really irks me. Something I dont need to see.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Shoot, maybe I'm even part of the problem that Maia is hinting at....

If anyone is looking for a catalyst, I suspect there's a lot of correlation between my return after an extended period of inactivity and the rise of other users who feel justified in behaving this way.

JordanAng420

On a side note...how hard was it for you to get your VTS in Anesthesia?

It was quite the process...once I became a licensed veterinary technician, I had to accumulate at least 4500 hours of anesthesia time, which took me about 3 years.

You need a case log of at least 50 anesthesia cases you worked with in the year you apply. 4 cases must be "in-depth" reports, which basically means they have to be really long and complicated and boring.

You also need to have 40 hours of anesthesia CE in the years prior to your VTS application.

If anyone is looking for a catalyst, I suspect there's a lot of correlation between my return after an extended period of inactivity and the rise of other users who feel justified in behaving this way.

Seamus... I think that a lot of folks try to imitate you. But they fail miserably.

Last edited:

Dimidiata

Tokay i think the sand issue is simple enough. You have been lurking(understandably) and in that time marcia and the other members have put it across that sand is not ok. Thus we repeat what we are told. Then you got out of the lurking bit and told us that sand is ok. Do you see how that kinda sucks for us? Seriously. Me and some of the other newer memebers are not simply going to be immeadiatley transformed. Unfortunet but true. They dont know who you are because they havnt seen you around as much as they have the other vetran memebers. Thus in their eyes you dont hold as strong a stance. I have distinctly told you i ment no offence when i said i would take marcias word over yours, it makes sense though doesnt it? I didnt know who you were, i rarley saw you so i and others cannot simply take your word for it after its been drilled into our heads the opposite of what you claim. Im sorry if i have offend you before, i try not to step on toes.

With all due respect on the subject of post count, it really all just depends. I havnt seen anyone use their postcount as justification of their knowledge so whats the problem(of course if they have then their full of it). I understand if someone completely new spends their entire time in the med section(like the more recent troll incident) but a lot of people are just having general leo conversation. Asking questions, making comments on new animals or offering adivice to other new members. Post count doesnt count for crap. Anyone who uses it to judge the worthiness of anothers words has no idea what surprises they may be in for.

Dimidiata

I miss something in 7 months of AWOL, self exiling, lurking, whatever you want to call it?

I know you were asking seamus but if it helps any theres been some...intresting stuff in the past few months. Namley a odd troll ring that kind of unsettled a portion of us for a little while.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Seamus... I think that a lot of folks try to imitate you. But they fail miserably.

Failure or success is irrelevant, it still leaves me culpable.

Perhaps this is something I should endeavor to be more cognizant of in the future as I participate. Maybe a combination of modulating my own approach to be more in-line with the attitude and tone that is appropriate for the sense of community that the moderation team tries to foster here and greater disclosure about some of the unintended consequences of my traditional approach to interactions.

Especially for younger members. They might be a little less inclined to borrow from my patterns if they were aware of the fact that my reputation has; cost me employment opportunities in the field (more than once), left some of my peers completely unwilling to even communicate with me and caused some of my friends to request that I distance myself from their business endeavors in order to avoid polarizing their customer base. These are events that I've considered, weighed against my own goals and willingly accepted, but it would be a genuine travesty to see all the inherent potential of the next generation be wasted as a consequence of contentious tendencies on a message board. Worse still if it's not even really their own personality.

Definitely something to consider the next time I'm inclined to write something aggressively caustic, regardless of how justifiable or warranted the circumstances.

... before anyone tries to poke me in my squishy underbelly, be forewarned that I will push my own ribs through my skin in order to release poisonous secretions.

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
... before anyone tries to poke me in my squishy underbelly, be forewarned that I will push my own ribs through my skin in order to release poisonous secretions.

~giggles~ Priceless visual!

I do think sometimes common courtesy is a dying art form.
I try to be as polite as I can, but I've been guilty of unleashing venom from time to time, too. My apologies to any that I have offended over the years...

garner63080

GarnerGeckos
As a new member myself, I have to admit there are times I'm afraid to ask question for fear of the reprocutions. I have done extensive research on the web, but there are times that i would like a little extra clarification. To be responded with "there's info about that on the web" or " there's already a post like this" really deters me. I also would like to point out the use of foul language. If someone is rude there is no need to cuss them or make.ignorant comments.and vice versa. These are just my thought and opinions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

JordanAng420

Failure or success is irrelevant, it still leaves me culpable.

Perhaps this is something I should endeavor to be more cognizant of in the future as I participate. Maybe a combination of modulating my own approach to be more in-line with the attitude and tone that is appropriate for the sense of community that the moderation team tries to foster here and greater disclosure about some of the unintended consequences of my traditional approach to interactions.

Especially for younger members. They might be a little less inclined to borrow from my patterns if they were aware of the fact that my reputation has; cost me employment opportunities in the field (more than once), left some of my peers completely unwilling to even communicate with me and caused some of my friends to request that I distance myself from their business endeavors in order to avoid polarizing their customer base. These are events that I've considered, weighed against my own goals and willingly accepted, but it would be a genuine travesty to see all the inherent potential of the next generation be wasted as a consequence of contentious tendencies on a message board. Worse still if it's not even really their own personality.

Definitely something to consider the next time I'm inclined to write something aggressively caustic, regardless of how justifiable or warranted the circumstances.

Seamus, my intention was not for you to change your ways....in fact, you are one of the things I really like about this forum...sometimes people just need a high five...in the face....with a chair....

I can see how you feel slightly responsable...you have a way with words, and you have a way of making people listen to you.

I do agree that a lot of what i'm talking about has to do with folks attempting to imitate you. My intention was not for you to change your ways, however. As a matter of fact, i'd love it if you were the same smart*** you always were.

Don't change, please.

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
~giggles~ Priceless visual!

I do think sometimes common courtesy is a dying art form.
I try to be as polite as I can, but I've been guilty of unleashing venom from time to time, too. My apologies to any that I have offended over the years...

I feel exactly as you do, Janece. I always try to be as courteous, gentle, or patents as I can, but there have been times where I feel I have been a bit harsh or impatient. I never have had any intentions of coming off as callous or rude.

Courtesy is contagious :)

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
Seamus, my intention was not for you to change your ways....in fact, you are one of the things I really like about this forum...sometimes people just need a high five...in the face....with a chair....
QUOTE]

LOL the high five in the face with a chair. Hope the legs get in the eyes for people who deserve it( not nesessarily people on this forum).

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member

I can see how you feel slightly responsable...you have a way with words, and you have a way of making people listen to you.

I do agree that a lot of what i'm talking about has to do with folks attempting to imitate you. My intention was not for you to change your ways, however. As a matter of fact, i'd love it if you were the same smart*** you always were.

Don't change, please.

Well I think a little modulation of your hot chili pepper style is a good idea, especially since from what you write, you're experiencing negative consequences of that style. Fortunately, there is a whole world of continuum between "blistering" and "gutless". Good call.

Aliza

Visit our friends