Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition

LizMarie

OMG! Today I was finally able to drag my boyfriend into the city so I could finally go to the Discovery Exhibition in Times Square, "Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition" and it was GREAT! I live in a HUGE city with museums all over but these things aren't exactly cheap you know but I've been wanting to go to this exhibition the minute it was announced and said this is my only chance since it's moving/closing Feb. 28th!

We get there and I was amazed by the entrance itself but it's Times Square what else do you expect, lol. We got our tickets but had to wait an hour so I went out and bought a classic street hot dog and hopefully I live to tale again tomorrow, lol. After an hour we went to get our "Boarding Passes." I had Mrs. John Morgan Davies (Elizabeth Agnes Mary White) a 48 year old widow and mother of 3 who who had sold all her belonging to raise enough money to get a second class suite and was sailing to Michigan to live with her eldest son who was established. My boyfriend on the other hand had Mr. Joseph Philippe L. Le Roche which was the ONLY known person of color on the ship. He was on his way to Haiti with his pregnant wife, and two little girls where he believed he would have better job opportunities since he family was very wealthy in Haiti with many connections. He was originally booked on another ship but they didn't allow children to dine with their parents and didn't agree and decided to book a 2nd class suite on the Titanic.

It started off with a lot of reading concerning the building process, certificates they received throughout the build and they were able to pull up rivets and a bunch of other hardware from ship itself. As it went on we were able to see the type of life 3rd class passengers and workers lived because they re made their rooms and had little quotes, etc from passengers. Soon it went into the 2nd and 1st class suite and boy were they nice they were even able to preserve the china used in each class, etc. Then it got more personal you were able to see the faces and the stories of people that were actually on the ship and I swear it bought a tear to my eye when I saw the picture of the catholic priest that died helping people into life boats then leading those that were left behind in prayer as the boat sank or the family of 8 that was in the 3rd class and whose lineage was wiped out because none of them were able to make it to a life boat in time. Of course they had clothes, dishes, brushes, suite cases, perfume bottles, wine bottles, etc on display which amazed me since these things had been underwater for years! Of course everything had to be tightly sealed in glass cages whose temperature, humidity and lighting were regulated to help preserve them. They even bought in a HUGE hunk of ICE to mimic an iceberg.

All in all the exhibit was great and it took almost two hours to walk through. At the end there were three HUGE boards with the names of almost ALL the passengers and you were able to to see if the person on your Boarding Pass, survived, died or unknown! My lady lived with her two children while my boyfriends passenger died but his wife and children survived.

I know this was long but I REALLY enjoyed and I think if it's in your city you should go and check it out! Me and my boyfriend were able to take pictures in front of a green screen and picked out a background with the titanic off to the side so it looks like a postcard and we took another picture in on the "Grand Staircase."

:)

http://www.discoverytsx.com/exhibitions/titanic

robin

i have heard this was on exhibit and i would LOVE to see it! simply amazing! i wish i could have gone! i am so envious!

BGalloway

Wow! That sounds awesome! I know way back when there was that big titanic craze around the time of the movie my school went on a field trip to a small exhibit and everyone was impressed, but this sounds way better!

Visit our friends