Toenails...

madisondouglas

So my leo shed today, and when I went to check on him later I noticed one of his toenails had bent a little & was bleeding. Unfortunately, that toe had stuck shed so I had to get it off. Once I did, the nail came with it. It bled a little bit onto my hands & on the paper towel. Before I put him back in his cage, I made sure to check there wasn't a lot of blood, that he wasn't in any pain, and that every other toe was intact. He's fine, but it got me wondering... Is this something I can prevent from happening again? It's the first time something like this has happened. Will the nail grow back?
I would normally call our vet but as its 830 at night on a Saturday, they aren't open. So this is my "vet" as of now...

TY in advance :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The nail may not grow back but it's not a big issue. Sometimes there can be a little bleeding when either the gecko or you pulls the shed off the nails. I see it as a necessary but unfortunate side effect of shedding. I'm assuming the gecko has a humid hide to help with shedding?

Aliza

madisondouglas

Hi, thank you for responding! At least now I know I don't have to worry.
Yes he does have a humid hide, I hadn't seen him use it in this round but I know that he does, especially 2-3 days prior to shedding. I try to keep it wet at all times - it's in such a spot that it's not completely on the heat mat and only half of it stays damp for a long-ish period of time.
thank you again!!

Visit our friends