Tokay geckos?

laurahlove

So yesterday I went to this really cool reptile store, and they had a Tokay gecko. And she was so beautiful! I had never seen one in person, but I had heard of them. I had no idea that they could be mean. She was only 20 dollars, and I was seriously considering getting her. Until they showed me how terrifying she was. They cant even handle her without being bitten, and most likely drawing blood. So is there any way to tame them? Can they ever become nice? Or will she always be a, 'look but dont touch' pet? 20140906_154906.jpg here she is.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some people, I've heard, have been able to tame their tokays that they got as hatchlings. I don't know if one that's "mean" can really be tamed. They're beautiful, but I have no interest in messing with them.

Aliza

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I saw some videos about how to tame tokay geckos on youtube a couple years ago. It might be possible, but it's not going to be easy, and you're going to get bit a lot in the process.

Jetfire

you have to start with a cb hatchling,and then it's not that hard. gentle,consistent handling,etc. I've seen it done. my friend Pat did it a couple years back. Took him almost a year of steady work,but he had it as tractable as any crestie. Sure,it had the occasional snippy day,but honestly,who hasn't? He kept it for awhile,then got out of geckos,and sold it. Don't know who had it after that.

You're boned,though,as far as hand-taming an adult Tokay goes...doubly more so,if you're starting with a likely wc adult Tokay.

Jetfire

Hell,you're already in Florida... take yourself a nice weekend road trip to Miami,and try to catch your own hatchlings..they're yet another invasive Asian species establishing themselves down there.

laurahlove

Haha, thats true. I dont know, I just really would like to have one, you know? And now ive just accidentally come across this lady on craigslist selling hers with its enclosure and all and she says she can pick her up sometimes. Im considering getting her :s

Visit our friends