Too Humid at Night (Advice Appreciated :) )

Juniper Rosemary

Hiya! Im working on setting up a bioactive enclosure for a crested gecko. I haven't got him yet, plants are growing well, the heat is within the right parameters however I am having problems with my humidity at night.

What is currently in the enclosure at the moment is draining medium, earthmix substrate a couple of cork branches for climbing with sphagnum moss acting as an anchor point for a couple of plants (forgive me I have forgotten their names) , dwarf umbrella plant. and a large leaf plant that i cannot remember the name of. (I have checked whether all the plants i purchased are safe when i purchased them so please dont panic :) ) Due to the temperature of my room at night i have a heat mat thats put on the side of the tank to keep it warm during the night and a lamp to keep things warmer during the day.

Humidity is fine during the day but it seems to skyrocket during the night. during the day the humidity is at around about 23 Celsius on the cooler side of the tank and the humidity is at about 67%. The problem is in the evening when it goes up 85%-99% humidity at night.

Does anyone have any idea how to change this?

Juniper Rosemary

I've been reading up on crested geckos and most things have said that the peaks should be 80% humidity, is going up to above 80% at night safe for them in the long term? I keep hearing and reading about them getting respiratory infections from too high a humidity. Or is it okay because this is only at night?

Thankyou for the response already I just wanna make sure im understanding correctly :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's fine. I doubt its above 80 for very long. The books also say that temp shouldn't go above 80 or so but in the summers in my non-AC home it can get into the 90's on occasion and everyone is fine. My oldest crested gecko is 14.

Aliza

Visit our friends