Topsoil/play sand substrate

harpbeat339

So I just upgraded my gecko to a larger tank, mostly in attempt to have more room for enrichment for her - part of that is I wanted to switch her off reptile carpet to a loose substrate, as I heard many leos like to dig and impaction is no longer considered a cause for concern as long as she's getting the proper husbandry. After some research I understand that Calcisand, Eco Earth, Reptisand, etc. is all no good, and people recommend a 70/30 combination of topsoil and play sand. I bought both (organic topsoil from Home Depot, brand is Scott's) and sanitized in the oven. I also understand you're supposed to sift the topsoil to remove sticks, plastic, glass, etc. and upon starting to do so I realized like maybe 50% or more of the topsoil is comprised of tiny sticks? Without super thorough sifting (maybe even multiple rounds of sifting) I don't see how it would be possible to entirely remove them, and it seems like a definite choking hazard. Can anyone recommend a method they use? How is it possible that there's nothing on the market that fulfills this purpose?

leopawhat

What did you end up doing in this case? I am in the same predicament now and can't get a response from anyone. I've sanitized one bag so far and started sifting and it's like 30-50% of the scoop is tossed because it's small mulch material. Idk if it's harmful or if I should just be looking for large and awkward pieces that will pose a risk.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't know why you'd want to get topsoil in this case. There are a lot of soil mixtures for enclosures that are formulated for reptiles (usually arboreal reptiles and frogs). They are called "ABG mixtures". Check out Joshsfrogs.com for some choices.
I don't think play sand and topsoil are great choices for a leopard gecko, and certainly not the type of substrate they would be on in the wild. I had a leopard gecko enclosure for about 5 years where I used coco fiber and everyone did fine. I'm including below links to 2 Gecko Time articles about setting up a naturalistic viv for leopard geckos. Another compromise is to use something like ceramic tile and to also provide a larger humid area with coco fiber.
https://geckotime.com/holistic-design-in-bioactive-vivariums-leopard-geckos-part-1/
https://geckotime.com/holistic-design-in-bioactive-vivariums-leopard-geckos-part-2/

Aliza

Visit our friends