Trying to Decide if Eclipse + Reverse Stripe or Patternless Stripe

Neon Aurora

So this boy came from an eclipse x het eclipse and I am just having the hardest time figuring him out. When he first hatched I figured he must be eclipse. But he has never had any pigmentation in his eyes. Sometimes I think I see some, but other times I don't. Please let me know what you think. I've included a picture of him as a hatchling, one of his face (including a foot, for looking for eclipse markers), and a full body picture. I am leaning towards him being homo eclipse. I am also trying to decide if he is reverse stripe or patternless stripe. I'm leaving towards reverse stripe.

FGTkpqN.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1805_result.JPG
    IMG_1805_result.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1811_result.JPG
    IMG_1811_result.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 35

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I can't be definitive, but here are some thoughts:
--I have heard of some eclipses losing their eclipse eye look but being called eclipse because of the white feet or tail tip.
--Because of that small amount of black smudge at the base of the tail on hatching, I can see why you'd want to say "reverse stripe". It's so tiny, I think you could be justified in saying either patternless or partial reverse stripe. I notice he's getting a little more spotty as he's matured. I hatched out 3 patternless stripes this season that had also tiny amounts of reverse stripe. One got spottier and the other two didn't. I decided to call them patternless stripes.

Aliza

Neon Aurora

Thanks for your input. He's going to be bred to a homo eclipse (hopefully) this season, so I should be able to prove him out either way. I'm just going crazy going back and forth on whether or not he is eclipse.

The smudge and the spots as he got older have made me want to call him a reverse stripe. But it also makes me questions if there is a real difference between a patternless stripe and reverse stripe.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have produced a few geckos that hatched with absolutely no sign of any stripe and were true patternless stripes. These never gained spotting, at least to the older juvie stage, when I sold them. I think when I first started I may have called geckos that had very little pattern that soon disappeared "patternless". Now I'm less inclined to do that, but I do say "patternless" when they hatch with a faint almost ghost-like partial reverse stripe that fades within a shed or two.

Aliza

Neon Aurora

I see. In that case, due to that smudge and the spotting as he gets older, I think I'll call him a reverse stripe, possible eclipse. I think maybe he is just a reverse stripe with very little patterning. Both of his parents are super hypo, after all, so it makes sense. As for the eclipse, I'll wait to see what he gives me when I pair him to a homo eclipse before making a call on that. I'm still enjoying his general look regardless.

Visit our friends