Two technical questions involving thermostats

Latlaw

1. This question would pertain to either the proportional thermostat or the standard type. In the winter my house temps dip into the low to mid 60's. Right now I just use the heat mat because my house is at 73 degrees. Could I also use a red heat bulb with the heat mat and would the thermostat adjust the heat of the mat as the bulb heated up the carpet? I wouldn't hook the light into the thermostat, just the heat mat.

2. If I went with the Ranco instead of a proportional thermostat, at what point does the Ranco let the temp dip down to before it kicks in. In other words, if I set it for 92, how many degrees does it go down before it kicks on to get to 92. Then at 92 degrees, it shuts off, right? Until the temp dips down again. I guess I'm wondering the range is for those of you who use the Ranco.

I hope I'm making sense here! lol

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I can answer the first question: the thermostat will regulate the temperature wherever the probe is measuring and it will regulate it by turning the heat mat on an off. So, if you have a red light shining on the probe and raising the temperature to 95 degrees, for example, the thermostat would decrease (or stop) the heating power of the mat until it gets back down to whatever the thermostat is set for. The problem would be if the light were somehow able to heat the floor of the cage to 95 degrees all by itself. In that case, the thermostat would keep the heat mat off but the temp would never get down to the point where the thermostat would turn the mat back on (assuming the thermostat would be set for, say, 92). I hope that's clear.

Aliza

Latlaw

I can answer the first question: the thermostat will regulate the temperature wherever the probe is measuring and it will regulate it by turning the heat mat on an off. So, if you have a red light shining on the probe and raising the temperature to 95 degrees, for example, the thermostat would decrease (or stop) the heating power of the mat until it gets back down to whatever the thermostat is set for. The problem would be if the light were somehow able to heat the floor of the cage to 95 degrees all by itself. In that case, the thermostat would keep the heat mat off but the temp would never get down to the point where the thermostat would turn the mat back on (assuming the thermostat would be set for, say, 92). I hope that's clear.

Aliza

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. So how does one keep the ambient air temps up during the winter? Do most people just rely on the heating pad to heat the tank and not worry that the air temps are in the 60's?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't worry about ambient temperatures since I figure that in the winter the geckos will either go into their hides which will trap the heat and make the effective ambient temperature adequate, or they'll go over to the cool side and brumate which is what about 2/3 of mine did last year. There are other people on the forum who feel strongly that a higher ambient temperature is crucial and you will most likely hear from them. I do believe that there are more than one set of circumstances that will result in healthy geckos. Mine are healthy, active and produced 60% more babies this year than last year.

Aliza

Latlaw

I don't worry about ambient temperatures since I figure that in the winter the geckos will either go into their hides which will trap the heat and make the effective ambient temperature adequate, or they'll go over to the cool side and brumate which is what about 2/3 of mine did last year. There are other people on the forum who feel strongly that a higher ambient temperature is crucial and you will most likely hear from them. I do believe that there are more than one set of circumstances that will result in healthy geckos. Mine are healthy, active and produced 60% more babies this year than last year.

Aliza

Thanks Aliza!

Glad to read your answer on this because I really have no other solution. I simply can't heat my house more.

robin

2. If I went with the Ranco instead of a proportional thermostat, at what point does the Ranco let the temp dip down to before it kicks in. In other words, if I set it for 92, how many degrees does it go down before it kicks on to get to 92. Then at 92 degrees, it shuts off, right? Until the temp dips down again. I guess I'm wondering the range is for those of you who use the Ranco.

I hope I'm making sense here! lol

i'm not sure about the ranco as i've only dealt with the johnson controls units. with he jonson units you can set the differential to as little as one degree drop before the units kicks back on.

Visit our friends