U.S. set to approve python ban

Pinky81

Billion dollar industry with little over 25,000 true supporters who were willing to take 2 minutes out of their days to point and click their opinion...many in this hobby should be ashamed of themselves!

marauderhex

It just goes to show that while we spread our "democracy" around the world like peanut butter, we don't even live with it here in the US. Politicians in this country need a wake up and realize that they serve their constituents, not the other way around.

GeckoCrossing

Ridiculous. So much for my brothers plans to breed Burms :( I feel really bad for any large scale Burm breeders that just got screwed. Fear tactics, lying, cheating and buying this law is not right... they just took an inch, get ready for the mile =/

Jusselin

A ban on the Imports will not stop anything. That is like trying to ban guns. People will still use them and find ways to have them. The key is to hit the irresponsible users.

Russ S

Re-Member
A ban on the Imports will not stop anything. That is like trying to ban guns. People will still use them and find ways to have them. The key is to hit the irresponsible users.

Who would decide who the irresponsible people are? The government?

Dimidiata

they took out the burms and the rocks, not toooooo big an issue, but whats next is everything else. I personaly do think they need to find a way to remove the bloody pythons from the everglades but clearly this isnt it. The only brightside i can see is that atleast a lot less burms will be sold to idiots. Still, special licencing should be permited.

NinjaDuo

they took out the burms and the rocks, not toooooo big an issue, but whats next is everything else. I personaly do think they need to find a way to remove the bloody pythons from the everglades but clearly this isnt it. The only brightside i can see is that atleast a lot less burms will be sold to idiots. Still, special licencing should be permited.

Say that to a berm breeder.... Its not right, no matter the way you look at it. (those stupid people will still get burms and rocks)

They'll never get rid of them from the glades? It's like their natural habitat.... Minus predators.

Idk I have mixed emotions about the subject. I'm fearful for the other animals being killed off. But at the same time, wild hogs are doing the same thing. And there's not much we can do.

fl_orchidslave

It is a big deal. Many states have tried with some successes, to pass laws regarding reptile keeping. Florida's problem has become a national issue that has now given federal regulation a foothold in our hobby and businesses. More laws will follow, and not just the nine big snakes originally named in this proposal. Some states will now get the ball rolling on their own legislation. Any United States citizen has the right to submit letters to the president and state elected officials, yet many sat on their butts and expected everyone else to do it. If we don't all stand together and be heard they can and will shut us down a piece at a time. Support USARK!!!!!!!!!! They are our representation and need to know we are with them!!!!!!!!!!! When another state needs help, HELP them. When USARK asks for letters of support, DO IT. This is not over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roaming Reptiles

Brandon Fowler

It is a big deal to the breeders that deal with those animals! Maybe when they outlaw your animals youll understand.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I think this a H-U-G-E issue! If our legislators are ignorant enough to feel that the USA would be better off without the big constrictors, this is a BIG win for them and will only empower them to add the other 9 constrictor species to the Lacey Act. These people are only catering to groups like the HSUS, PETA, and other fundamental activists without even considering that most of these 'injurious' snakes would never survive outside of the tropical climates and environments in the Southeastern USA. This is based on total ignorance and scare tactics. Now, all the people who keep and breed Burms will be criminals... even the 'responsible' ones! They will all be lumped into one category along with other serious law-breakers and smugglers. "Keep a constrictor, go to jail".

It won't stop here. If the reptile community doesn't get off of their asses and stop this kind of government infringement on our rights, before you know it ALL snakes... and then ALL reptiles will be banned! Shame on those of you who were too lazy and complacent to spend 3 minutes of your precious time to send the letters that USARK and PIJAC put together, with links, to send to the President and our Legislators! SHAME ON YOU!!!

Last edited:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I personaly do think they need to find a way to remove the bloody pythons from the everglades but clearly this isnt it.

Somewhat significantly, this has been largely accomplished. Last winter included a few colder periods. Not even record setting colder periods or really exceptionally low temperatures, just the usual weather associated with the four(ish) year warm and cool cycles. Killed off enormous numbers of the established invasive ectotherms.

While not entirely resolved, and while there are some holdout pocket populations in the extreme southern areas of the 'glades, winter solved about ninety five percent of the problem, if one looks at it in terms of affected areas. Population studies are a lot trickier, especially since no two of them really agreed even when the invasive snakes were easier to find, but the number of animals collected as part of the state of Florida's collection permit and bounty initiatives that they fired up in 2011 was under thirty animals despite selling thousands of permits to citizens.

The problems lie in the fact that those responsible for instigating the bill have goals beyond this bill, this time... and the people responsible for voting it into law don't know their ass from a hole in the ground on the subject and are influenced by false information or motivated by PR and re-election concerns. Invasive species are a definite problem. They just aren't the problem that politicians were told they were voting to solve, or the one that the five year old statistics and extrapolation used to push the bill suggested that they were.

The AR groups love this stuff. Florida and Ohio, the monkeypox "epidemic" back in 2003; these are tools for them, things that can be manipulated and worst case scenarios to employ as scare tactics. It's foothold legislation, a crack in the door just big enough for them to fit their metaphorical crowbar. You say "just burms" and they see "all constrictors" in the near future, including the deadly menace of your kenyan sand boa

In the meantime...

[YT]35TbGjt-weA[/YT]

Landen

LSReptiles
<--- Sent my letter long ago.

I'm sure this impacts many many breeders and that is just unfortunate. I feel for those that are affected.

It's sad really cause they have every right to ban these animals after they have caused so much problems in the Everglades due to peoples wreckless decisions to release them. "We" did this to ourselves ultimately though... How many breeders have sold some of these large constrictors in the past to customers that should have never owned them in the first place, who in the end could have been folks that were dumping them off in the Everglades when they got too big. I know I've watched dozens being sold at shows before with the sellers paying little to no attention to the fact that in 1-2 years that new baby snake will be 10 times the current size and have out grown most peoples abilility to properly keep them. Had the people keeping them used their brain that god gave them they wouldn't have released the first ones into the wild in the beginning and we wouldn't have this mess now.
I do not believe that it should be a national ban as there is absolutely no risk of these pythons being able to thrive in the wild in areas other than the Southeast US. But as I've read, it appears that this is only a ban on importation and selling across state lines at the federal level. It's up to each state to pass laws stating which species are banned to be kept.

For all of you that didn't speak up on this, it's now your time to make certain you speak up on the state level cause these state laws are sure to follow this ruling. 25K letters to officials I'm sure was probably not seen as much of a threat :main_no: So everyone that didn't sign, ya'll out to be ashamed of yourselves for not taking 2 mins of your time like Marcia said...:main_huh::main_thumbsdown:

Now, all the people who keep and breed Burms will be criminals... even the 'responsible' ones! They will all be lumped into one category along with other serious law-breakers and smugglers. "Keep a constrictor, go to jail".

It states in the press release that those already owning them can keep them as long as it complies with state laws. It does state that those that already own them are allowed to keep them but not sell or transport them over state lines.

Last edited:

Visit our friends