UGH! This is so Frustrating!

Haligren

is behind you.
So I had Tiamat out and about. She's been off feed for a while and it seems every time I pick her up I'm trying to shove food in her face so I thought I'd handle her for a bit without trying to stress her out. Well she was out exploring when she noticed a rather large grasshopper. And she noticed it VERY intensely. I picked the grasshopper up as I wasn't sure if I wanted her to eat it, which she did try. After a month of not eating, and me trying every feeding day with different feeders (mealies, supers, and the occasional cricket) after all that she wants a freakin' grasshopper. I of course didn't let her have it, and she let it go almost as soon as she latched onto it. It was probably very hard and pointy which she's no doubt not used to. But I am SO frustrated. I just know that if I could offer her something else besides worms and crickets she might actually eat but freakin' Canada doesn't allow roaches as feeders.

Anyone else seem to have this problem?

Jayme

Yeah, I know how you feel. My gecko has been doing the same thing. =/ I guess certain geckos just get bored easily and want variety.

G

gekko.gurl

I'm in the Okanagan in BC...and with my very first LG about 8 years ago, she had the same thing happen to her. I was lucky though I lived out on a acreage and there was so much field for catching "wild" bugs and no one around sprayed. Have you tried any of the canned bugs?? You can get can'o'hoppers. if she's that interested in grasshoppers. I always keep a can'o'worms in my freezer incase I run out of bug supply and cant make it to a store.

Haligren

is behind you.
I'm in the Okanagan in BC...and with my very first LG about 8 years ago, she had the same thing happen to her. I was lucky though I lived out on a acreage and there was so much field for catching "wild" bugs and no one around sprayed. Have you tried any of the canned bugs?? You can get can'o'hoppers. if she's that interested in grasshoppers. I always keep a can'o'worms in my freezer incase I run out of bug supply and cant make it to a store.

I didn't think about the canned stuff. I'll try anything now just to get any sort of nutrition into her. I tried the Jump Start again today. She hates that stuff. I tried simply placing it on her face to lick off but it wasn't going very well. I think she remembered yesterday. She would almost flinch when I tried to place it on her nose. I ended up force feeding her again although today was more successful and very quick. After it was done she just kinda looked around like "what the hell was that?" and didn't seem to be as stressed. I don't know why she continues to let me handle her. She still seems to enjoy crawling on me and even me petting her. I'm afraid that if I continue to force feed her she'll not want me to handle her at all.

So I have two new options I should try now;

-Canned bugs
-Simplified slurry

Thank you so much, guys/gals!

L

laughing dog

mine love and seem to do better on wild crickets that get in the house, and i find occasionally. grasshoppers are easier to breed than crickets. quiet, and cleaner, as i remmember breeding them as a child for food. they tame down nice and dont spaz when you come around them after a while(never had a grass hopper get away). i dont know from a nutrition stand point, as some kinds produce a fluid thats upseting in the least to their mouth and stomach. i woulodnt worry about them being to hard or spiny, as leos eat scorpions and rodents in the wild. since i accidentally dropped a giant crix in with my leos, they wont even bother with the small ones. my babies were eating crix almost as big as them, and just biteing them in half(they do chew there food, and most observers of wild geckos laugh at the eye space feeding rule).

Haligren

is behind you.
Well I'd love to feed my geckos wild food as it would be providing more of a variety to their diet which is simply natural, but I don't trust the insects I get around here as I know many people spray their gardens. I live in a neighborhood where the houses are pretty close together and have all but a fence separating them from one another (it's no wonder Canada has some much space considering how most neighborhoods don't have sideyards). And regardless of the pesticides I don't know what else they've been eating as well. I got some canned food and while Mandarin of course simply loves any food I put in front of her, Tiamat so far has remained indifferent. She's still losing weight as I can see although I have not weighed her. Have ovulating geckos continued to not eat until they are on death's door?

I'm 95% positive that she is ovulating although the pink spot is difficult to see. I can see it pretty clearly however if I shine a light on her belly.

Visit our friends