Urate abnormality ?

ire123

Hey!
background: So i have a leopard gecko about ~10 months old. He has a history of strange poops. Ever since we got him (at about 4 months), he sometimes has pretty liquidy poops (like almost all liquid with a urate thrown in there). I was at first concerned, however I was told to watch his behavior. We obtained 3 geckos at the same time (all housed seperately) and this gecko has become by far the biggest (huge healthy tail), social, and eats/ sheds regularly. We started to worry less because everyone said if he was losing weight or had sunken eyes - then you start to worry (and he just keeps getting bigger!). He started to become a little more withdrawn with more watery poops recently but he had not lost any weight and has actually kept growing/ eating. However recently he went back to normal and pooping a solid poops! I think things are back to normal.

My question: I’ve been realizing the urates seem HUGE. i’m talking over half the size of these huge poops. It is also a little yellow. We joke that he does drink a ton of water (like almost 3 minutes straight of drinking) and always runs out of his hide when we put new water out every night. I know it makes sense that more water = larger urate. But i just wanted to know if this was okay? I know it’s not exactly “normal” but i just wonder if this a normal variation. He’s super friendly, eats a lot, sheds normal, and is our biggest gecko. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right by my little guy. All advice welcome!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like everything is operating as it should be. There's no hard and fast rule about what ratio should be urates to feces - at least not one I'm aware of.

Visit our friends