URGENT: Crestie exposed to 37c/97f for 6 hours. Action to take?

ndash

I just bought my 5 year old a crested for Christmas. He loves it. We've kept his terrarium at perfect temperatures for the last 2 weeks with relative ease, no issues with overheating.

Today I went to work for first day since Christmas. At the end of the day I found my WiFi thermometer reported somehow temperatures in his terrarium rising to 37c/97f.

This is way above the 28c/82f max, and it was over 28c for 7 hours. It was over the 29.5c/85f absolute max for 6 hours. Chart attached.

Temp is now 23c, so okay. It was very sunny today in UK (but also very cold, only 6c degrees outside and inside set to 22c). My guess is extreme sunlight heated up our living room which has bifolding glass doors all down 1 wall, causing a greenhouse effect even though outside temp was very low, and combined with underfloor heating (which usually has simply maintained his terrarium at 22c degrees), this caused the aggressive temperature rise. Very upsetting as nothing like this happened before, if anything a challenge to keep temps high enough, and this would happen the first day I wasn't at home...

I work 2 hours from home and am sleeping away from home today. Temperature tomorrow should be fine as cloudy outside and underfloor heating scheduled off, so no additional risk.

When I get back tomorrow (approx 24 hours after high temp ended), I'm expecting but sincerely hoping not, to find him dead. .

My little boy will be devasted, I guess as will I.

My question is a) is there any chance he could survive (he's an adult, shop estimated 1.5-2 years old)?

B) most importantly, if he is alive what should I do when I get back to him? Just lots of water to drink or bathe him in water, or anything else?

C) if he does survive could this cause him permanent damage? What would be the symptoms to see? Would it be kinder to put him down if it has seemed to cause long term issues?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220106-011715_Govee Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220106-011715_Govee Home.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220106-011653_Govee Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220106-011653_Govee Home.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 1

Visit our friends