Uroplatus question.

W

wiiiroc

I was just thinking about this today at work and perhaps I can get an answer!!

I've heard that, despite them being carnivores, you may pair Uroplatus phantasticus together in large groups as long as the enclosure is the appropriate size.

I was wondering if other Uroplatus geckos can be in with the Satanic? Could I put in a mossy leaf tailed and have them get along, or are they still to be kept in separate enclosures?

Note: I am not asking this for breeding purposes! I will not even think about breeding until I have an extremely good handle on reptiles.

W

wiiiroc

I wasn't going to. I'm just curious if anyone has done this in the past and what the outcome was?

Just learning, is all.

Also, if I were to get another Satanic how would I go about introducing them? I'm 90% sure the one I have is male. Would there be any aggression at all? How can I settle them into together?

MonteQ's

With the size difference between sikorae and phantasticus it's asking for trouble. I understand that in some cases mixed species vivs can work. To me though it really just seems irresponsible.

As far as adding a second phantasticus later on. I house mine in pairs most of the year. I have yet to have any issues between a male and female or female to female. I have however witnessed male on male aggression in my collection on the only occasion I tried it. I will not house multiple males together again. Some have had other results. I just simply refuse to take the risk.

I've found providing as stress free of an environment as possible really helps. Give them space and time to settle in. When introducing, I always feed them individually the night before. I'll do the actual introduction the following night at lights out. Hope this helps.

Visit our friends