Uroplatus sikorea - Questions

babypiggy

Hi guys,

I have 3 eggs it was 4 but one had a chip in it .. it's still in the the incubation container

i'm just wondering what is the IDEAL temps for these eggs
and how long is the hatching date..

I have tried to research but a lot of conflicting info (as always)

i don't own the parents of these eggs.. as i work at a pet store and discovered these eggs while doing an entire enclosure clean out and substrate change.

Anyways my questions...

1. ideal temp of incubation
2. how many days before hatching approx.
3. are keeping hatchlings harder then keeping adults?
4. what do u feed them.. i have never seen hatchling leaftails in real life.. so i'm not too sure how small they would be.. but judging from the eggs they are gonna be TINY.. (i breed b.dubia,mealworms,crix,superworms,waxworms)
5. will they eat b dubias redidly.. because i really favor them as a feeder insects compared to crickets or any other worms

6. can i house the hatchlings together when hatched?
7. what size enclosure would i need for a single hatchling or all 3 of them.
8. i'm incubating on pearlite.. is that ok ? so far the eggs seem to be ok.. they are fertile.. as they are wite and hard shelled (infertile eggs dont' harden up from what i've read), also when i candled them i can see veins and a red glow.. so i know the eggs are fertile..i've had them for 2 weeks or so now ; and i want to be fully prepared

anyone who have experience with breeding pls post as much info as u can

I"m excited!

MonteQ's

Let me preface this by saying that I don't keep Sikorae. I would recommend searching through posts on the other forum. Alot of the info I've come across has been pretty non-specific.

Most will incubate at room temperature...mid to low 70s. I use a barrier between the eggs and incubation medium. A bottle cap with dry medium on top of wet medium for example. Incubation time should be 80+ days. Can go quite a bit longer.

Haven't worked with these, but hatchlings can be a pain. In my experience, the babies are far more temperature sensitive than the adults. Keep em cool and humid. The first month seems to be the trickiest. I personally would raise them individually. Kritter Keeper should work for housing. Sorry I can't help more...but hopefully this'll tide you over till someone else chimes in.

babypiggy

i posted the same thing on the leaftail section of that forum but nobody has even answered
:(

so i'm trying in the egg and incubation section to see

babypiggy

Here are some picks of the three eggs
The one that had a chip in it was too sevre and it started to mold.

i found another one that has a crack in it
:( but its still doing good so far *fingers crossed*

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

Egg with the crack (if u look carefully u can see it)
IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

MonteQ's

Well it definitely looks like you're heading in the right direction. Check the weight/water content regularly. I'd keep a pretty close eye on the other one that is cracked too. If you see any seepage, I'd remove it to it's own container. They do have a tendency to mold up quickly.

Did you tape over the holes on the deli cup? If so, you might want to at least poke a couple small holes. I've had better luck allowing a little more ventilation than usual for my Uroplatus eggs.

As far as the other forum goes...give em a little time. ;) They usually pop in eventually. It's gonna be a long wait, so you've got plenty of time to get ready for them.

It would be a good idea to search through all the old posts for info on the babies. Take in everything you can. Every now an again I'll come across little tid bits that really help!

Best of luck. Hope to see some baby pics in the months to come!

babypiggy

yup there is tape covering those holes...
i've been searching that forum to read things
LOL

Well it definitely looks like you're heading in the right direction. Check the weight/water content regularly. I'd keep a pretty close eye on the other one that is cracked too. If you see any seepage, I'd remove it to it's own container. They do have a tendency to mold up quickly.

Did you tape over the holes on the deli cup? If so, you might want to at least poke a couple small holes. I've had better luck allowing a little more ventilation than usual for my Uroplatus eggs.

As far as the other forum goes...give em a little time. ;) They usually pop in eventually. It's gonna be a long wait, so you've got plenty of time to get ready for them.

It would be a good idea to search through all the old posts for info on the babies. Take in everything you can. Every now an again I'll come across little tid bits that really help!

Best of luck. Hope to see some baby pics in the months to come!

Visit our friends