Using GEO's

Shrapnailed

Has anyone used the GEO's? Just wondering as I am using them for the past week for my second clutch and do not want to dry my eggs out too much or allow them to get too wet. Its my first year breeding and I do have some questions and not too many people around my area breed.

stager

I used for the first time last season. My females hatched 100% but my males probably only 20% I have cheap incubators and have heard using geo with them can dry eggs. But I will try again this season by lowering male incubator temps.

Shrapnailed

was just curious if i need the substrate barely touching the underside of the GEO or if they need to be levitated slightly from the medium?

cowana

I am using Coco Fiber. I was already using it as the medium for my moist hides and a lot of the experts and breeder said it was what they found worked best for a lay box so it could do double duty for me. The geckos can dig in it, easier to control moisture levels than moss, and made it really easy for me to see when she was about to lay. She threw the dirt out of the box everywhere. Haha

I haven't had problems with eating the coco fiber. Mine don't try to lick it for moisture like they might the moss, and my feeders (mealworms and dubias) can't get inside so they won't bite towards the loose substrate.

Here is where she threw the dirt out the night before she laid. (Note: My entrance is on the side not on top)

0ea15d288742cc8e2fbf8a24865be6c4.jpg

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
I am using Coco Fiber. I was already using it as the medium for my moist hides and a lot of the experts and breeder said it was what they found worked best for a lay box so it could do double duty for me. The geckos can dig in it, easier to control moisture levels than moss, and made it really easy for me to see when she was about to lay. She threw the dirt out of the box everywhere. Haha

I haven't had problems with eating the coco fiber. Mine don't try to lick it for moisture like they might the moss, and my feeders (mealworms and dubias) can't get inside so they won't bite towards the loose substrate.

Here is where she threw the dirt out the night before she laid. (Note: My entrance is on the side not on top)

0ea15d288742cc8e2fbf8a24865be6c4.jpg

I might switch to the fibre if im still uncomfortable about the leo's eating the moss. Thanks!

And yeah that digging would be a sure way to know eggs are coming lol!

cowana

I might switch to the fibre if im still uncomfortable about the leo's eating the moss. Thanks!

And yeah that digging would be a sure way to know eggs are coming lol!

It made it really easy! I would do daily or twice daily checks for eggs anyway, so to keep the moisture right when I was doing my check I would spritz it with a water bottle till it was slightly more damp than I needed it to be. I'd also take an old fork I kept with my reptile supplies and stir (after I'd already checked for eggs) the fiber to make sure I got everything damp not just the top layer. Usually once every day or two was enough. Do you keep your moist hide in the middle or hot side?

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
It made it really easy! I would do daily or twice daily checks for eggs anyway, so to keep the moisture right when I was doing my check I would spritz it with a water bottle till it was slightly more damp than I needed it to be. I'd also take an old fork I kept with my reptile supplies and stir (after I'd already checked for eggs) the fiber to make sure I got everything damp not just the top layer. Usually once every day or two was enough. Do you keep your moist hide in the middle or hot side?

Sounds like an easy to maintain setup, which I like a lot! And my humid hides move around honestly, I try to keep them on the hot side but I will find them on the cool side randomly. Kinda like the Leo's just sit there moving it lmao

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
Nice! You have interior decorator Leos! LOL

Lol it sounds nice but when you have a certain layout for the cage in mind, and the leo's don't seem to agree: it can be frustrating xD I even find the harder to move PVC hides on the opposite end of the cage I put them at. They only fail to move heavier hides that I've mostly phased out. I swear it's like decorating a new house with a picky spouse lmao.

But I wish you the best of luck this breeding season! I'm sure everyone could use a little extra luck in their little gecko-creating adventures.

cowana

LOL Not sure how big your tank and hides are but maybe you could put a small stone, rock or weight of some sort in the bottom of the hides? Then they may be too heavy for them to push all around. I'm pretty lucky. The worst my kids do is occasionally they might knock over a fake plant. They probably get more frustrated with me rearranging things. LOL

Thank you, and best of luck to you! I have had reptiles and amphibians most of my life but breeding them is all new to me, and it has me all sorts of excited and nervous! [emoji2][emoji16]

I can't wait until the pictures of the hatchlings start to roll in!

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
LOL Not sure how big your tank and hides are but maybe you could put a small stone, rock or weight of some sort in the bottom of the hides? Then they may be too heavy for them to push all around. I'm pretty lucky. The worst my kids do is occasionally they might knock over a fake plant. They probably get more frustrated with me rearranging things. LOL

Thank you, and best of luck to you! I have had reptiles and amphibians most of my life but breeding them is all new to me, and it has me all sorts of excited and nervous! [emoji2][emoji16]

I can't wait until the pictures of the hatchlings start to roll in!

I use giant enclosures for my Leo's, for example my SHTCTB Paradox/Snake Eye'd Eclipse are in a 4ft long, 1.5ft wide, 8/9 inch tall bin. The others are in at least 2 and a half/3 foot long and at least 1 foot+ wide enclosures, unless they are solitary males then I use 16-20 quart bins. I thought about weighing down the hides but they are all open bottom and putting anything heavy on top would be a no-go. So I just let them do it... lol. I imagine they lift the hide and walk with it like a turtle or something because that's basically the only way they can do it o.0

You're very lucky though, I can't tell you how many times I wake up and go "you did that again?" cage after cage xD So if you're stuck with just the odd tipped plant then I'd count yourself lucky for sure.

And I have had reptiles my whole life basically and am just getting into breeding as well! So we're in the same boat. Thankfully, there'll be tons of pictures because I am going to document everything and most people here are like that (woot!) -

Also, my current pairings are: 1 G Project PH Tremp/Eclipse male to 2 Bold Stripe het Tremp females.
Then I have 1 Bold Stripe het Tremp male with 2 G Project PH Tremp/Eclipse females
Last but not least, SHTCTB Paradox to Snake Eye'd Eclipse - for my first season, that's more excitement than I can handle! I am nervous as well, but I try to not let it get to me.

What will you be pairing?

cowana

Those should be some really cool Leos! [emoji3]

Mine aren't too exciting...

My little rescue is Sunny who just laid eggs and she is a High Yellow het Tremper. The male she was with is a SHTCT ph Tremper.

Then I will be pairing my male, Chong, HTCT ph Tremper, with Cheech, Normal het Tremper, (I think High Yellow) and Chima, SHTCTB.

Next season, I will breed my little RAPTOR female, Chula, once I find her a male. I'm in no rush to get one though. She is only 7 months and 33g.

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
Those should be some really cool Leos! [emoji3]

Mine aren't too exciting...

My little rescue is Sunny who just laid eggs and she is a High Yellow het Tremper. The male she was with is a SHTCT ph Tremper.

Then I will be pairing my male, Chong, HTCT ph Tremper, with Cheech, Normal het Tremper, (I think High Yellow) and Chima, SHTCTB.

Next season, I will breed my little RAPTOR female, Chula, once I find her a male. I'm in no rush to get one though. She is only 7 months and 33g.

Your pairings are not any less exciting! I feel every clutch is just as exciting no matter what's in it :D and the gecko that has me jelly for sure is the RAPTOR, always wanted one lol - But just make sure you find her a prime looking male!

And about that moss thing... yeah... http://geckoforums.net/f130-health-medications/77558-2.htm - gonna get Eco-Earth tomorrow, and leave my moist hides out for now.

Shrapnailed

Haha its alright! I definitely like the coco fiber medium much more than the water crystals. tried out both and eggs with the water crystals rotted

Visit our friends