using sand on hide?

Inter5tella

I had a plan to give my tupperware hides a more desert aesthetic, and I planned to cover them in silicon caulking (As its what I have on hand) then cover that ENTIRELY in sand. Would their be a danger of impaction this way? I figured covering the hides in sand would allow them to grip and climb on top easily, as ive seen people do similar with rocks/gravel. Also, for moist hides, do they need little pinholes on the top to make sure it doesnt get TOO moist or no? I plan to use cocofiber in mine, as I have quite a few blocks of it.

Dinosaur!

I don't see any issue with using the sand, as long as it is completely adhered to the hides, and doesn't fall off easily. Even if a little bit does come off, it shouldn't pose a danger in that small of an amount. The hides may actually aide your geckos in shedding :) As for the moist hide, as long as you don't add too much water, you shouldnt have to add more ventilation holes. :)

Herbiebug

About that silicone, make sure it is 100% pure silicone. If it is bathroom silicone that has additives to prevent mold, it isn't safe for reptiles. The GE Silicone I is the safe version. GE Silicone II has additives. I ran in to this issue installing bamboo ledges in my arboreal gecko's tanks.

Cool idea. Please post pictures of the finished product! I'm curious how they look.

Visit our friends