Votes: 39 66.1%
  • I have no opinion.

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • What on earth are you talking about?

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

JordanAng420

To all you hardcore snake keepers out there, and everyone else too:

I'm sitting here and was just browsing some other sites' classified sections and I came across an ad for a venemoid monocle cobra and it got me thinking...

What is your opinion about this type of surgery? Have you had it done before?

JordanAng420

Just for the record...I am NOT an advocate for this type of procedure, however I have been forced to assist several.

From my understanding, which may not be correct as I have heard conflicting sides, the results are not permanent, and the snake may eventually return to normal...? Any thoughts?

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Here's my opinion. The snakes that were meant to be non-venomous are. Just as the snakes that were meant to be venomous are. We should NEVER be taking measures to remove a natural part of an animals defense and survival capabilities. If you can't keep them the way God created them, then maybe you shouldn't keep them PERIOD!

As for any type of reversal, venom glands do not grow back once you remove them, which is the whole intent of the operation.

Defanging however, which is maybe what you're thinking of, does allow the fangs to grow back after a certain period of time. But usually snakes that are defanged end up dying from some sort of infection.

Last edited:

JordanAng420

Defanging however, which is maybe what you're thinking of, does allow the fangs to grow back after a certain period of time. But usually snakes that are defanged end up dying from some sort of infection.

Aha, Maurice that is exactly what I am thinking of. Thank you for clarifying, I am getting the two mixed up.

Riyo

Pet Human
I think it's very unethical and borderline irresponsible.. I can see many people (who should not be owning snakes to begin with) see this as an opportunity to show off how "cool" they are by lugging around a venomoid. And what if the procedure is done incorrectly and the snake is still hot?

I've heard that venomoids should be kept just like a hot, "just incase". So...why do it to begin with? I'm with Maurice with keeping the animal as it is and not mutilating it to our benefit.

crotaphytidae

If people think it's to dangerous to keep venomous so they have the animals sacs removed then they shouldn't keep the animal at all. The allure to keeping venomous is the fact that these animals deserve the utmost respect and attention. ONLY extremely advanced hobbyists should even consider keeping venomous. Now the debate does get a little gray when you are dealing with venomous lizards in my opinion. NO VENOMOIDS

Barbel

I really don't know too much about venomous snakes so I might be wrong, but doesn't the venom start the digestion process? If so, would the removal of the venom glands hinder a venomous snake's ability to properly digest its food?
In either case, if you are too much of a wimp to deal with the snake as is, then IMO you are not responsible enough to handle it and shouldn't have the snake at all. Mutilating an animal for your personal pleasure is not cool. Ever!

Akayana

A Dragon Muse
Truthfully, I don't keep snakes at all much less hots but I don't think it's wrong to keep them in some cases. I think It's nuts to do it on a whim "just because." But I think for things like some educational shows were it would be too irresponsible to bring a venomous the venomoid would be a good tool to educate people why NOT to get these types of snakes. Again I'd like to state that I don't think it should be allowed for ANYONE to do to their snake and I also think it'd be a good idea to require a class or something to take before they can do the surgery. I know I'll probably get a raging debate from this post, but I don't see how it's much different from clipping the wings from domestic birds and fowl. I personally wouldn't do it, but not going to bash someone else for it either.

Baoh

Just for the record...I am NOT an advocate for this type of procedure, however I have been forced to assist several.

From my understanding, which may not be correct as I have heard conflicting sides, the results are not permanent, and the snake may eventually return to normal...? Any thoughts?

Not so much.

Baoh

If the animal can live an otherwise normal life in a *captive* environment, then I don't care. I wouldn't do it, but it's the owner's choice.

Baoh

Here's my opinion. The snakes that were meant to be non-venomous are. Just as the snakes that were meant to be venomous are. We should NEVER be taking measures to remove a natural part of an animals defense and survival capabilities. If you can't keep them the way God created them, then maybe you shouldn't keep them PERIOD!

As for any type of reversal, venom glands do not grow back once you remove them, which is the whole intent of the operation.

Like breeding to express albinism or reduction of crypsis-promoting pattern.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Baoh said:
Like breeding to express albinism or reduction of crypsis-promoting pattern.

My previous statement has no relation to breeding for a certain trait. Rather, it's directed at the operation that remove the snake's venom glands. For me, you're compairing apples to oranges.

. o O ( Where's Gregg when you need him? )

Digby Rigby

Wrong on every level

Surgeries are done to save lives or improve the quality of life. THese are not surgeries but mutlilations of the animals. There is no benefit to these operations for the animals and people who admire them for what they are would never do such a thing. There are far too many non venomous snakes out there for people wanting pets. What next cut of a monitors tail so you can fit it in a smaller cage? When you have to mutilate an animal to keep it you are going against the very basic tenets of proper husbandry, fulfilling the animals needs. Such behavior is reprehensible and tantamount to when runaway slaves were hobbled in an effort to prevent them from escaping. If one does not have the capabilities to properly care and house animals then they shouldnt have them.

Digby Rigby [email protected]

nevinm

Moyer's Monsters
I really don't know too much about venomous snakes so I might be wrong, but doesn't the venom start the digestion process? If so, would the removal of the venom glands hinder a venomous snake's ability to properly digest its food?
In either case, if you are too much of a wimp to deal with the snake as is, then IMO you are not responsible enough to handle it and shouldn't have the snake at all. Mutilating an animal for your personal pleasure is not cool. Ever!

this is true. venomous snakes stomich acids arent as strong as a pythons or boas, they need the venom to work through the prey and help the acid digest the food. taking out the sacs puts a massave strain on the snakes digestive system. inturn taking years off the snake's life.

but who cares if it only lives for 19 years instead of 25, it cant hurt me and it looks pretty in a cage..... (i hope you guys are picking up on the sarcasm, im laying it on pretty thick.)

nevinm

Moyer's Monsters
Surgeries are done to save lives or improve the quality of life. THese are not surgeries but mutlilations of the animals. There is no benefit to these operations for the animals and people who admire them for what they are would never do such a thing. There are far too many non venomous snakes out there for people wanting pets. What next cut of a monitors tail so you can fit it in a smaller cage? When you have to mutilate an animal to keep it you are going against the very basic tenets of proper husbandry, fulfilling the animals needs. Such behavior is reprehensible and tantamount to when runaway slaves were hobbled in an effort to prevent them from escaping. If one does not have the capabilities to properly care and house animals then they shouldnt have them.

Digby Rigby [email protected]

i compleatly agree 100%

Baoh

no its not its compleatly different. there is no proff that albinos cause a shorter lifespan. it has been proven how ever that devenomizing a snake will shorten the lifespan

I'm glad you're volunteering to provide the overwhelming peer-reviewed evidence. I'm looking forward to your post containing it.

Visit our friends