Ventilation and Air Flow in Ikea Build

Sexy Shrimp

Hey guys!
New to the forum, and new to geckos.

I’m about to start out on converting a tall Ikea Milsbo cabinet into a bio active crestie enclosure. Internal measurements once substrate is in will be something like 66cm wide x 34cm deep x 150cm tall.

The real worry I have with it is ventilation and air flow- the cabinet sides/back/doors are entirely glass, but I will be replacing the top with vivarium mesh. I’m wondering now if this is adequate. If there aren’t any issues with the kit there should also be a small gap running the length of the doors on the front, but only very thin.

I’m worried about air stagnation and oxygen levels. Do you think the mesh top will suffice, or should I replace the back or one of the sides with viv mesh? For a little more info, it will be about six feet away from windows that are open all day long (weather permitting), and I’m mounting cork bark panels all the way round on the inside, so it wouldn’t just be straight up mesh, it’d be more like a rim of mesh running round the edge of the panel.

I’ve seen other people do similar enclosures for tropical herps with just the top being mesh, but I’ve not seen follow-ups that would tell me what sort of ventilation I should be expecting. I’m really anxious to get it right!

Many thanks,
Eve

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The Exo-Terra and ZooMed enclosures are essentially glass enclosures with mesh screen tops. They do have some ventilation holes along the front at the bottom of the door I've had to seal off all narrow spaces (like the spaces between the door hinge and the cage) with smaller Exo-terra enclosures that I've used for tiny geckos and it's been fine. I did a quick google scan for "Ikea Milsbo cabinet reptile enclosure" and there's plenty of places to look at ideas.

Aliza

Visit our friends