VERY young leachie just laid eggs!

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
So my female is 13+ months old now, and I just notice two days ago that she laid her first clutch! Of course, I'm pretty sure they aren't fertile but I'm incubating them anyway, just in case there is anything to the parthenogenesis in leachies thing.

The thing that's amazing is how young she is... it's just unheard of. She's only 80+g, and should be 180g and about 2.5 years old before I pair her.

The funniest thing is that she's turned into the biggest bee-otch ever. She huffs and puffs and lunges and does this thing that sounds like a geiger counter. Sometimes she even tags the tub wall trying to get to me. I'm told this is standard egg laying behavior... I don't know, but it sure is interesting to watch.
IMG_0194.jpg

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
funny that we were just talking about this, lol. good luck with the eggs. would be amazing for you to hatch out another parthenogenetic leachie. i believe there is only one documented case right?

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
funny that we were just talking about this, lol. good luck with the eggs. would be amazing for you to hatch out another parthenogenetic leachie. i believe there is only one documented case right?

Documented? I'm not sure about that. I'll believe it when I hatch one. ;)

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Just to provide some balance to your youtube experience- here's a video I took last weekend. I'm the one with the camera, and that's Steve Cemelli of Leapin' Leachies with his hellspawned Poindimie' Leachie, "El Diablo".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4QOpKSHtU

Ya...he sure wasnt too happy, not like those happy grunting attention seeking friendly ones on youtube :)
But I think you guys need to re-weigh him....you forgot to tare the scare for that container you put him in, lol. He's not going to be too happy when he finds that out:D

Joli

That's so interesting that such a small female would lay "duds" (fingers crossed for you hatching out a parthenogenetic leachie). Big thanks for the video, I love seeing Steve's leachies! That's a perfect name, by the way.

Visit our friends