Vet supplied OMNIVOUR emeraid

Hipster

Hi I'm brand new here so I apologize in advance for anything I might do wrong.
My leopard gecko (older)was having trouble eating and losing lots of weight and shedding constantly. We went to the vet after we noticed its vent was clogged with old shedding. Vet soaked and got rid of shedding as well as shined light in the belly. No sign of worms. After we talked a while she showed me how to feed it by dripping food on its nose. She Also told me he could eat dark greens ( which I thought was a no no) and gave me a bag of emeraid ic omnivore . I didnt notice until after feeding him a few times that the bag was for omnivore (parrot chicken squirrel on the package). I became suspect and decided to google it and I cannot find a thing that says they digest greens. I noticed he had diarrhea also. I since then stopped feeding him the omnivore suppliment and purchesed obox carnivour care ( he actually seems to enjoy it more) . I hope i made the right decision. He was on the omnivore for about a week and didnt gain any weight. New diet for 2 days now. Does anyone have any experience using this stuff? Did I make the right decision giving him the carnivore supplement?
Thanks for helping!!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think the carnivore care is a better bet. I also think it's worthwhile to continue to try to help the gecko eat some solid food by holding it and gently push feeders at its mouth. It's always better for humans and animals to be on chewable food as opposed to puree if possible. I don't see how the vet could decide that the gecko doesn't have worms by shining a light in the belly. I guess sometimes worms make the abdomen distended, but there's no way you can see worms by shining a light. The more usual way is to take a fecal sample and analyze that. Based on what you've written I'd say the vet is somewhat suspect. Was it a reptile vet?

Aliza

Hipster

I think the carnivore care is a better bet. I also think it's worthwhile to continue to try to help the gecko eat some solid food by holding it and gently push feeders at its mouth. It's always better for humans and animals to be on chewable food as opposed to puree if possible. I don't see how the vet could decide that the gecko doesn't have worms by shining a light in the belly. I guess sometimes worms make the abdomen distended, but there's no way you can see worms by shining a light. The more usual way is to take a fecal sample and analyze that. Based on what you've written I'd say the vet is somewhat suspect. Was it a reptile vet?

Aliza

Yes it was a reptile vet. And I'm not exactly sure the light was for worms. Shr may have been looking for abdominal issues.

indyana

I have used Carnivore Care and Repashy Grub Pie for geckos that needed supportive care in the past. The omnivore formula probably did no harm, just not commonly used in leopard geckos.

Hydration is a lot more key in getting them eating again than you might think, so make sure your gecko has access to a humid hide. You can even try hydrating soaks in a bit of warm water (not past their legs, not more often than once a day).

Hipster

I have used Carnivore Care and Repashy Grub Pie for geckos that needed supportive care in the past. The omnivore formula probably did no harm, just not commonly used in leopard geckos.

Hydration is a lot more key in getting them eating again than you might think, so make sure your gecko has access to a humid hide. You can even try hydrating soaks in a bit of warm water (not past their legs, not more often than once a day).
Great thanks! Vet told us to soak twice a day while shedding. We did twice a day for a while until after he shed. After a week he decided to shed again. He seems to be shedding almost once every 2 or 3 weeks. Crazy... I have a humidifier in there keeping his humidity 40-50. Might throw in a hunmid hide but he was uninterested in the past. Thanks for the reply!

Rubyeyes

The humid hide may feel too cold and that could be a factor. Also if he/she is sickly, fluids might be necessary- but do NOT go back to that vet!! That vet is utterly incompetent and could kill your gecko or make him/her very uncomfortable. I can’t believe what that vet suggested and did! One bath a day like Indyana said- warm bath (maybe 83 degrees? Or temp gun your leo to measure heat.) for no more than 5 minutes. I would find a decent vet- maybe you can try this link- https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661. Certainly not a guarantee of competence, but.. Leos are strict carnivores. Keep your Leo nice and warm and find a good vet. They can check different things.

Visit our friends