Views on housing AFTs on Coconut Fiber, Moss, etc.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I don't see any real issue with it besides the inevitable egg hunt if you having laying females. AFTs don't seem to have the same drive to eat the substrate that leos do, and many people keep them on coco fiber, orchid bark, sphagnum moss, etc without issue. Of course, I would use something that is more likely to be digested, like cocofiber, if I were going the loose substrate route.

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
jmg recommends a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and peat moss. jmg is the ultimate fat tail breeder so i took their recommendation, and i think my fattys love it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've kept my AFT's on coco fiber for the past 2 years. I have a ceramic lay box filled with coco fiber and set into the substrate with a lid and a hole. Most of the eggs have been laid in there.

Aliza

BSM

all my adults are on coco fibers and all the babies are on paper

Bryan

LizMarie

how high are your humidity levels if you use moss/fibers/etc.?

Last night I switched them over from paper towels to coconut fiber/peat moss mix. Next time I think I'll just stick to the fiber because it's finer, I'm just afraid my humidity is too high since I don't have a humidity gauge yet. I'm also having issues with the heater and the thickness of the substrate to get the right temperature. Last night I set up the tanks and went to bed to wake up and see the hot side was barely 86F so I had to thin out the layer and now I'm getting 92.5F

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
the reason i dont like using it because if you feed crickets, they will lay eggs in it..and sooner or later the cage will be infested with pin heads...
if you feed worms and one gets out..you will never find them..they can pupate and turn into beetles...and you will probably never know if your gecko is eating..and if you feed roaches..they will probably burrow..in the substrate..

I will stick to newspaper and moist hide :main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends