Virgin reproduction

• Thread starter BRANDY WYNE kENNELS
  • Start date
B

BRANDY WYNE kENNELS

I was reading a science magazine of my brothers and it stated that some female geckos and other reptiles will create fertile eggs that hatch female because they would be clones of their mothers. This happens when there are no males around to copulate with. Is this as far fetched as it seems?

Morph

wow never heard of that...

i heard they can retain sperm for long periods of time ( 1 year ) but never this. interesting though...anyone else hear of this?

N

Nigel4less

Not in Leopards its in a certain species of Arboreal Geckos that I cannot remember the name of.

Stitchex

Some kind of Pacific gecko or something....lol I have them in my own backyard but can't even remember the name....lol.

bohannbj

REEF AND REPTILES
It's a desert gecko, that does this. The entire species is female and they still go through a mating process, but the reproduction is aesexual. I show it in the movie "Why Sex," during our genetics chapter. The kids always go nuts when they see female x female interaction. Kids nowadays.

G

Gecko

The desert one is from Australia. Then there are a few arboreal tropical ones that you see on islands.

N

Nick44

Yes its True it happened with my female corn snake not so sure about Leos tho

Palor

Chaotic Nights Reptile
The pathogenetic lizard is a Sonoran Whiptail. Among geckos, Mourning geckos and Indonesian geckos (H. Garnoti). I also know an Aussie gecko is parthogenetic too. Also the panama night lizard is another clone species.

Gregg M

Registered Member
parthenogenesis also occures in snakes... There is molecular proof that Garter snakes, timber rattlesnakes and other vipers, and even Burmese pythons have reproduced without ever being introduced to a male.. Pretty interesting...

It would not be too far fetched to think that leos may be able to do this as well as other reptiles that are commonly kept...

T

Trey

In the october issue of reptiles magazine it mentions that leachies have now been proven to be able to do this.

Sandyballs

Once I saw this in "The Most Extreme" from Animal Planet, It said that there use to be males but there was always more females to males so it ended up as just females.........................They also said that the same thing is slowly happening to humans......but we got sperm banks so nothing to worry about!

Visit our friends