What are we

AmyChris

I have two AFT geckos. The male I had for almost a year and the female I just got two weeks ago. The female is a little young and has to fill out so she wont go in with the male till she is about 50 grams. She was 14 g when I got her and she now 22g eating a dozen crikets a day. Below are their pics can anyone tell me what kind they are cuz she looks a little lighter then he is.

Male

stan.jpg

Female

leah2.jpg

AmyChris

Thats what I thought and thank you. I have another question, should I leave the female in her cage till shes a little bigger or can she go with him. Hes about 65 g she about 22g. I wake up in the middle of the night to him trying to get out his tank and to hers or her trying to get out of hers to his. I dont want to put them together if she still to small because I dont want anything to happen to her.

Amy

EverEvolvingExotics

Thats what I thought and thank you. I have another question, should I leave the female in her cage till shes a little bigger or can she go with him. Hes about 65 g she about 22g. I wake up in the middle of the night to him trying to get out his tank and to hers or her trying to get out of hers to his. I dont want to put them together if she still to small because I dont want anything to happen to her.

Amy

Don't put them together until she is of weight to breed, if you do they will breed. This will cause many problems for her. It's not worth the risk. You should quarantine her for 2-3 months to make sure your new girl doesn't pass anything over to your established male.

AmyChris

I had planed on waiting till shes about 50 g before putting her with him. I held her cage up to his and he rattled his tail, made some kind of hissing noise and licked the glass. He went without eating for 3 months till I got her and held her to the glass, the next day he started eating and has been since.

Thank You for the help
Amy

EverEvolvingExotics

Do you have any pictures of your setups? Sometimes animals will go off feed for a period of time if they don't feel secure, it sounds like you are keeping them in glass tanks. Tanks are very open and unless proper adjustments are made can really stress out reptiles. There isn't any problems with tanks if you provide plenty of hiding spots and it helps to cover up some of the walls with a dark material. I'd be interested in seeing how yours look, maybe we could make some suggestions on possible improvments. Just a thought...

AmyChris

I have two hides on the heat pad side and one on the cool side. I didnt change anything in the tank to get him to eat so maybe it was the cold weather here in Buffalo NY that had him slow down and he didnt lose any weight at all from not eating. Its has been warm here the past few weeks right around the same time he started eating again. His hides are a log on the back wall (and one of those fish tank backgrounds on that wall) a reptile hiding rock also on that heat pad side. I have the carpet on that side and on the cool side I have another log for him to get under. I have about 3 fake plants he also likes to nap under and a small water fall to keep the humidity up. I have the carpet on one half and the eco earth on the other but will be changing to all carpet when I add her so she dosnt eat any dirt when eating the crickets. Stan dosnt eat live crickets so when I feed him I put the dead on the carpet. Oh and Leah (the female) put on another gram since yesterday and todays weigh in was before she ate a dozen and a half crickets.

EverEvolvingExotics

How are you heating their enclosures? It shouldn't matter if the weather outside is colder, your temps should still be the same. Using heat tape or heat mat hooked up to a thermostat solves the problems of fluctuating temps.

Visit our friends