What diurnal lizard to get?

jakehinds

I just got an exo terra congo 18x18x24 and was thinking about getting a crestie, but want something that's active because I have a lazy leo right now xD. I like mourning gecko's and people say they're pretty active, but if anyone who owns them can chime in that'd be great.

My preferences:
Be active during day-Doesn't have to be diurnal, but I'd like to see them and not sleeping/hiding all day
insectivore-I breed dubia/mealies but can feed CGD
Handling- I don't care
Size-okay with the viv I have obviously
Communal would be cool but throw in whatever sp. you know

I can't think of anything else right now, and If you'd like to know anything else let me know.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Of my diurnal reptiles (beardie, steppe runner, P. laticauda, P. klemmeri, L. williamsi) I find the williamsi most interesting. THey're brightly colored, out most of the day and very responsive when I come to look at them.

Aliza

jakehinds

Of my diurnal reptiles (beardie, steppe runner, P. laticauda, P. klemmeri, L. williamsi) I find the williamsi most interesting. THey're brightly colored, out most of the day and very responsive when I come to look at them.

Aliza

The williamsi are pretty cool! Where can I look for a price? Or how much did they cost you?

jakehinds

Oh good lord. I knew I was forgetting something. PRICE! I don't really have a set price range, but as a teenager, I can't afford one lizard for $160(a williamsi I found) Probably no more than like 60$ for a single animal, and maybe a little bit more for a communal group. Just nothing crazy expensive haha:p

Embrace Calamity

I had some mournings. They're really cool, but, unfortunately, it didn't work out. I had ordered a group of subadults because I didn't want to start with babies, but he ended up handing me babies. I mean, tiny. I reluctantly took them, but, with how little they are and the fact that I was set up and prepared for subadults, I was just unable to find anything to keep them contained! They escaped from everything! So, if you do mournings, I would recommend adults or at least subadults. They really were cool, and they're cheap since few people have heard of them. I'd personally love to give them another go.

~Maggot

jakehinds

I had some mournings. They're really cool, but, unfortunately, it didn't work out. I had ordered a group of subadults because I didn't want to start with babies, but he ended up handing me babies. I mean, tiny. I reluctantly took them, but, with how little they are and the fact that I was set up and prepared for subadults, I was just unable to find anything to keep them contained! They escaped from everything! So, if you do mournings, I would recommend adults or at least subadults. They really were cool, and they're cheap since few people have heard of them. I'd personally love to give them another go.

~Maggot

Hahaha That's what I heard. And yes, the babies are so small, but so adorable! You're supposed to tape up ANY hole in the viv. If I do go ahead with them, I'll have to tape the doors closed! Just kidding, I'll be housing them in small sterilite's when I have babies. But in all seriousness, how active were they with you? My leo is soo lazy xD

P.S. I know I'm not going to make money off of breeding, and know about extra calcium so they don't get depleted and the mom's eat the babies how I will lose some money, and all the other good stuff. I just think it would be a really cool experience to have.

Embrace Calamity

They were decently active, and their little chirps were the cutest. I truly don't have any clue how they kept escaping, because I tried four different enclosures/containers that I went over every inch of and still couldn't get the hang of it. I don't know, maybe I'm just really bad at full-proofing things. XD

They really were cool though, and I'm sad that it didn't work out. I had been planning to purchase some actual subadults this summer, but some unexpected expenses came up and I haven't been able to spare the money. If you can find some subadults or adults for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it. But you have to post lots of pictures if you do so that I can experience them vicariously through you. ;)

~Maggot

jakehinds

They were decently active, and their little chirps were the cutest. I truly don't have any clue how they kept escaping, because I tried four different enclosures/containers that I went over every inch of and still couldn't get the hang of it. I don't know, maybe I'm just really bad at full-proofing things. XD

They really were cool though, and I'm sad that it didn't work out. I had been planning to purchase some actual subadults this summer, but some unexpected expenses came up and I haven't been able to spare the money. If you can find some subadults or adults for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it. But you have to post lots of pictures if you do so that I can experience them vicariously through you. ;)

~Maggot

Yeah, I'm trying to find some for a decent price. I asked my local reptile shop if they could special order some so I don't get killed on shipping.

Visit our friends