What do use in the humid hide/lay box?

B

BioWorkZ

I was wondering what material to use for the humid hide/lay box. I've been searching all over GF with no luck. Some people use a wet paper towel which is cool, but I want something for my females to lay their eggs in. I've used peat moss a long time ago and I find it dirty and messy. I've also seen people using either perlite or vermiculite (isn't that for incubating only?) and sphagnum moss. So what's the best material for the females to lay their eggs in?

Phoenix

I just put plain garden earth in my wet hides, it stays nice and moist and gives them something to dig in if they like.

JordanAng420

I like the sphagnum moss. My well behaved females seem to like laying their eggs in it. They like to dig in it, and it doesn't make that much of a mess IMO. The naughty ones just lay them all over the place regardless of the substrate in the moist hide.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I personally prefer perlite. I've used peat moss and vermiculite and both are fine, but messy, and they tend to stain the eggs. Paper towels are functional, but I like to allow digging, which encourages the females to use the box and is a natural behavior. I haven't tried sphagnum, seems good though as it is naturally mold resistant. Perlite holds water well, gives the female an option to dig, and won't stain the eggs. I use it for incubation as well and haven't had any problems with it so far.

P

Pickles457

For a humid hide i use damp orchid moss, and for lay boxes/ incubation ive had lots of success with vermiculite(if you dont mind the mess:))

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
Moist cocoa fiber is hands down the best material for a leo's humid hide/ egg laying chamber. They sell a dry brick of it at your local pet store and you when moist, it expands... so one brick will last you forever! One of the brands out there is "Bed-a-Beast". All natural and our leos love it!!

Srt14292

Est; 1992
I bought a whole pack of Sphagnum today...and used only about 1/25th of it. Any suggestions on how to preserve the remainder for later use?

Erik just store it in a cool place, and it will keep its moisture.
I have not gone through my first bag of sphagnum moss as of yet and i still have 3/4 left.

JordanAng420

Also, you can store it in those large, gallon-sized ziplock bags to seal in the moisture. And just as Sean said, make sure it's kept in a cool, dark place.

B

BioWorkZ

Erik just store it in a cool place, and it will keep its moisture.
I have not gone through my first bag of sphagnum moss as of yet and i still have 3/4 left.

That's strange...I purchased a bag of sphagnum moss and it's all dried up. I thought it was suppose to be dry until I mist it. Besides, the bag I got it in was full of holes so it stays dry. =P

Latlaw

That's strange...I purchased a bag of sphagnum moss and it's all dried up. I thought it was suppose to be dry until I mist it. Besides, the bag I got it in was full of holes so it stays dry. =P

Me too. Mine comes dry and you add the water. Works fine though and I change it about once a month.

Visit our friends